Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!

Thread: Teensy 3.6 dead - reballing?

Teensy 3.6 dead - reballing?

Hi!
    I have a Teensy 3.6 that I bought a while ago and used it for some tests, and have been sitting in a drawer until now.
    When I connect it to a pc (tried on two pcs, windows and linux) it doesn't appear. The blink sketch is long gone so I can't use that for knowing if it works.
    I saw on a thread in this forum that I should check the 3.3V pin and the Program and Reset pins. I get 3.3V on the three of them, and both Program and Reset pins go to 0V when I push the Reset button.
    I just came across a thread in the Adafruit forum where someone says his board only works when pressing on the chip.
    https://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=125796

I just tried it and it works. When I apply a lot of pressure with my thumb on the chip while connected via USB to my pc, the teensyduino sees it, but I have to maintain a lot of pressure.
    The moment I let go a little bit the connection breaks.

Has anyone experienced this? Do you think reballing could bring the teensy back to life? what temperature and time should I try in that case?

These are unfortunately things which happen nowadays. Some thirty years ago, the same problems were caused by oxidized IC sockets. The question is if a $29 Teensy 3.6 is worth the effort, or if it's not cheaper and quicker to order a new one, depending on your personal hour rate.

Yes, I forgot to mention that I'm using it for a project that needs to be finished in two days, and here in Spain the spring vacations begin tomorrow, and ordering a new one I wouldn't get it until next tuesday or wednesday. I live in a small town and there's electronics shops that sell arduinos, but not teensies. That is why I'm considering reballing as an option

Don't forget that it could have been hit by static electricity. Did you store it in the anti-static bag?

Might as well give it a try, if you have the damaged Teensy and time to experiment. Sadly, I don't have any guidance, other than the general public info you'd find by google searching.

I can tell you we recently had a damaged Teensy X-ray inspected. It appears the customer inadvertently heated 1 corner of the BGA chip, probably will soldering the nearby pins and the soldering iron came into prolonged contact with the chip. Non-uniform heating of the BGA put a lot of lateral stress on the balls, due to thermal expansion. I know this probably don't help much if the board is already damaged with some of its solder balls no longer connecting - but something to keep in mind, you want to make sure the heat is applied uniformly.