Compiler between Arduino and Visual Studio for Teensy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amensch

Hello All,
Does anyone have a recommendation for an IDE/compiler that's a step-up from Arduino, but not necessarily as complex as Visual Studio?
Thank You,
-John

Exactly how is Visual Studio Code complex unless you make it so?

Or better question, what are you looking for in an IDE?

Many software developers are already familiar with Eclipse (which is freeware under Win, macOS and Linux). Dutch developer Jantje created and maintains actively « Sloeber » which is either a Teensyduino compatible Arduino-Plugin for existing Eclipse installations or a full bundle of Eclipse with the Plugin.
http://eclipse.baeyens.it/

I’m using it for many years now, for php and java development at my day job and for Teensy stuff in my free time.

Visual Studio and VS CODE are different right? @Luni did a nice add on as VisualTeensy that builds on that - and that is multi OS supported.

If you are Windows only and have a decent editor you like? I use Windows and SublimeText and FrankB created a Batch/CMD file for Windows that executes Arduino IDE BUILD from a command line - I put some added Batch files around that where CMDLINE or SublimeText executing those batch files uses installed Arduino+TeensyDuino to build and upload with TyCommander without opening the IDE.

True VS and VSC really only share part of the name. Everything else is really different.

I would highly recommend VSC with PlatformIO.

Another option: you could use Arduino IDE (+ TeensyDuino) just for compiling and library management (it's quite convenient, runs out-of-the-box) and your IDE of choice (I voice for Visual Studio Code) for editing and whatelse.
To do this, in Arduino IDE go to File->Preferences and enable "Use External Editor".
The integrated editor goes "gray" (editing disabled) but promptly reflects any change you do with your preferred editor. You can still use Serial Monitor, change options (port, board, compile options etc.), build and upload.

Hello All,
Does anyone have a recommendation for an IDE/compiler that's a step-up from Arduino, but not necessarily as complex as Visual Studio?
Thank You,
-John

I use Windows and SublimeText and FrankB created a Batch/CMD file for Windows that executes Arduino IDE BUILD from a command line - I put some added Batch files around that where CMDLINE or SublimeText executing those batch files uses installed Arduino+TeensyDuino to build and upload with TyCommander without opening the IDE.

For Windows I wrote added batch files to create the compile.cmd with a 4 question prompting of the device and speed, compile options and USB type. Also added ability to make a NEW sketch like in IDE with batch files from SublimeText. Very handy with Tycommander when multiple Teensy of one or more types are connected.

I use Windows and SublimeText and FrankB created a Batch/CMD file for Windows that executes Arduino IDE BUILD from a command line - I put some added Batch files around that where CMDLINE or SublimeText executing those batch files tellpopeyes uses installed Arduino+TeensyDuino to build and upload with TyCommander without opening the IDE.

Any Update????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back