Teensy 3.2 to DIP adapter - final update

Status
Not open for further replies.

bboyes

Teensy 3.2 isn't the new kid on the block but for many projects it is a good value. We started a large (for us) project before Teensy 3.5 was ready for prime time. We needed access to the bottom Teensy 3.2 pads, so we wanted to convert to to a DIP form factor. I promised this forum an update on this adapter. I thought there were some earlier threads on this but I can't find them now. Anyway, finally, here is the update. This is a slight mod of the board done by (I can't find his name) who graciously sent us the CAD files a while ago. The current name of the OSHPark file is Teensy32_breakout_R4a_gerbers. This breaks out the bottom SMT pads including reset. Boards at OSHPark are here. This module with .025" square headers plugs nicely into 3M breakaway socket strips made for .025" square posts. These are much more robust than the non-square thinner pins you see on Arduino boards.

We also designed a simple assembly fixture. We finally have a detailed assembly document: here is a link to the living Google doc. This is written for use by any electronic assembly firm. To date we have made over 500 of these Teensy 3.2 modules and are working on a new run of 250.

Going forward we might consider using Teensy 3.5, but it would require a board layout change. "If it ain't broken, don't fix it". As an engineer it's hard to not keep making things "better".

Finally a huge Thanks to Paul for creating Teensy, to Paul and the crew here for making reliable runtime libraries for Teensy, for great support here in the forum, to NOX771 for a robust i2c_t3 library, and to Koromix for TyTools. We have open sourced as many of the libraries (we use a lot of I2C devices) as we can at https://github.com/systronix. We have run billions of test cycles on our project during development and there are now hundreds of units in the field for over a year where they must run 24/7. These systems are expected to have a service life of 10 years. Teensy 3.2, with proper libraries and application code, is up to this task!

I remember that board. The OSH links were originally from a user 'CPT' on Osh park, but those links are now dead (shared_projects/Gnvbt7io on oshpark.com).

Doing a little google searching shows this link on github for the R2 and R3 boards (and it has a MIT license):

I ordered some of the R3 boards, but I don't think I used them. I notice on your board you have two open solder jumpers (SJ1 and SJ2) that were solid on the R3 board, and you have a label D1. Remind me, what are D1, SJ1 and SJ2 for (I imagine they are for soldering diodes on to the board).

On his github, you can see the sch in a file "board.pdf", and SJ1 shorts Vusb to Vin. SJ2 connects Vusb to Vin but through D1 with its anode at Vusb so that Vusb can power Vin but not the other way round. For our purposes we don't do anything to the jumpers and cuts on the Teensy 3.2, nor do we use these options on the breakout board. We deal with some power source options on the large base board that uses the module.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back