Getting Started - Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeraltMCU

Some years ago I purchased a Teensy 2 (and other items such as displays, etc.) but life got in the way and I had to abandon the project so I've been out Teensy for quite a while. I'd like to get started again using the Teensy 3.6 this time. My main goal is to build an interface for X-Plane flight simulator to simulate radios and other equipment. I plan to use the X-plane USB flight sim project on pjrc as a base.

My plan is use the 3.6 as the main computer and connect it to other devices (pots, switches, rotary switches, etc.). I've seen some setups using boards such as the Mega2560 the implement a address bus to select the peripheral on a mux board. This allows devices to be added and removed in a modular fashion.

1. What is the proper way to do this with a 3.6? Do I use some of the digital out pins as an address bus or is it better to use the serial I/O (which assumes the device can talk serially)?

2. Is the 3.6 powered from the USB connection or should I plan on hooking up the Vin to a supply. Which brings up a question - the Vin is 2.6 to 6 volts but the schematics on the pjrc page have a note about not applying more than 3.3 volts to the pins as they are not 5 volt tolerant. I assume that means it's okay to use 5V for a supply but don't connect a pin to a device that outputs 5V on? However, if I am using inputs from say a mux that would mean they need to be no more than 3.3 volts -correct?

3. Do I still need to load the Arduino software for programming or are there other options for programming the Teensy that people recommend? If I understand correctly with the 3.6 Teensyduino will load the necessary libraries? Does Teensyduino support Arduino 1.9 yet?

4. I assume the Teensy supports either C or C++?

5. It's been a long time since I did soldering (back in the TTL and CMOS days!) and I remember that you need a low power iron/station. I'm looking at the Weller WE1010 station on Sparkfun. Is this a good choice?

Any other input is also appreciated.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back