Please help me get started with Teensy

Status
Not open for further replies.

snusmumriken

Apologies for cross posting (here), but I need to get started with the Teensy I've just bought, otherwise I shall have to chuck it away before I've even tried it. I don't have time to wait.

Because I don't have admin privileges over my office PC (with Windows 10), I have to run a portable installation of the Arduino IDE from a USB pen drive. This means I can easily update the IDE itself, libraries etc without having to call in the IT help.

a) Is it possible to install Teensyduino into that portable IDE without admin help?
b) Once that's done, will I be able to update Teensyduino without admin help?

Thanks for your help in anticipation.

Yes, the installer works with Arduino in portable mode. Everything is installed inside that copy.

You should be able to run the installer without admin rights. But we don't test this much.

While you're running Windows 10, which is good, if anyone later finds this answer, it really only applies to Windows 10. On all pre-10 versions, an INF "driver" needs to be installed, which requires admin access. That's not necessary on Windows 10.

Paul, thanks for your response - I appreciate your personal intervention. Unfortunately, the very first thing that happens when I run the TeensyduinoInstall.exe file is that I get a dialogue pop-up requesting an admin password. Is there a way of installing without using the executable?

Nope, sorry, there's only the installer.

Maybe take the USB stick to a machine where you can run the installer and let it add all the stuff into your copy of Arduino. Or create a temporary virtual machine just for this purpose.

Nope, sorry, there's only the installer.

Maybe take the USB stick to a machine where you can run the installer and let it add all the stuff into your copy of Arduino. Or create a temporary virtual machine just for this purpose.

Yup, OK, I've done that now. Here we go, then.

Any updates on this? A .zip with all the files the installer is normally moving would be great.

No installer should require admin privileges these days, unless you're trying to install into one of the protected folders.
I'm in much of the same boat as snusmumriken - horribly incompetent IT at my work place.

You can make the zipfile yourself. Install everything on a other machine and zip the Arduino directory.

Found a better solution here:
Create a .bat file with
Code:
cmd /min /C "set __COMPAT_LAYER=RUNASINVOKER && start "" %1"
in it, then simply pull the installer file onto the bat. [Hjulle @ superuser.com]

Installation went flawlessly.
I believe the admin privileges are only needed for installing the USB drivers if you're using obsolete versions of Windows.
My Teensy is due to arrive tomorrow, very exited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back