Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!

Thread: Please help me get started with Teensy

Please help me get started with Teensy

Apologies for cross posting (here), but I need to get started with the Teensy I've just bought, otherwise I shall have to chuck it away before I've even tried it. I don't have time to wait.

Because I don't have admin privileges over my office PC (with Windows 10), I have to run a portable installation of the Arduino IDE from a USB pen drive. This means I can easily update the IDE itself, libraries etc without having to call in the IT help.

a) Is it possible to install Teensyduino into that portable IDE without admin help?
    b) Once that's done, will I be able to update Teensyduino without admin help?

Thanks for your help in anticipation.

Yes, the installer works with Arduino in portable mode. Everything is installed inside that copy.

You should be able to run the installer without admin rights. But we don't test this much.

While you're running Windows 10, which is good, if anyone later finds this answer, it really only applies to Windows 10. On all pre-10 versions, an INF "driver" needs to be installed, which requires admin access. That's not necessary on Windows 10.

Paul, thanks for your response - I appreciate your personal intervention. Unfortunately, the very first thing that happens when I run the TeensyduinoInstall.exe file is that I get a dialogue pop-up requesting an admin password. Is there a way of installing without using the executable?

Nope, sorry, there's only the installer.

Maybe take the USB stick to a machine where you can run the installer and let it add all the stuff into your copy of Arduino. Or create a temporary virtual machine just for this purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulStoffregen View Post
    Nope, sorry, there's only the installer.

Maybe take the USB stick to a machine where you can run the installer and let it add all the stuff into your copy of Arduino. Or create a temporary virtual machine just for this purpose.
    Yup, OK, I've done that now. Here we go, then.