Teensy 3.5 not recognised by Arduino IDE 1.8.9 on Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

boydy33

Hi there,
I'm running Teensyduino 1.46 to enable comms from Arduino IDE 1.8.9 to Teensy 3.5.
The fast and slow blink hex programs both run fine from the teensy.exe app but when i go into Arduino IDE 1.8.9 it can't see the Teensy 3.5 from boards manager and also the Ports menu is greyed out (not available).
Background is that I have been happily using a nodeMCU ESP8266 with Arduino IDE no probs at all but I need the Teensy for higher A/D rates of current project.
I've read about port comms not being default serial etc and tried a few things there but no luck.
Also tested pins on teensy - Vin = 5v, Analog Gnd ok, 3.3v = 3.3v ok, Gnd ok.
I've also re-installed arduino ide and teensyduino as suggested in this other thread, but nothing seems to work.
Oh, one potential lead is that when i go into Boards Manager there is a message 'Error downloading https://downloads.arduino.cc/packages/package_index.json'
Out of ideas this end - any ideas from peeps out there?
cheers, boydy

FAST and SLOW blink were noted - were those unique sketches that uploaded?

Open a blink sketch - do a Verify build, then TeensyLoader should open. With Teensy plugged in press the button to request programming. That should activate the TeensyLoader if the cable is good - even if ports are empty.

Serial USB Type is the initial default under tools - A Serial type needs to be selected and the Teensy running well for the computer to gets its attention to upload over a good data cable. Also there on Tools you'll want to see T_3.5 board selected.

Teensy never appears in the Boards Manager window, so at least that part is normal behavior. The Teensyduino installer is how you're meant to add Teensy support into your copy of Arduino.

If the Teensyduino installer worked, you should see 6 Teensy boards in the Tools > Boards menu. Can you select Teensy 3.5 from that menu?

If your Teensy is connected to your PC, you should see it in the Tools > Ports menu.

Any chance you can show us a screenshot of your Tools > Boards menu and Tools > Ports menu. We can't see your screen.

Hi Paul, thanks for your prompt reply.
I've now attached some screenshots.
cheers,
Nick Presentation1.jpg

That shows 'HOURLY BUILD' - Teensyduino only installs on indicated release builds. If TeensyDuino was pointed at this IDE for install it would have Failed and offered an explanation on the fail dialog under a button.

Are there multiple copies of the IDE installed/Unzipped? If so it may be on another install.

When TeensyDuino is installed looking at Help a screen shot will should be signed on he upper right corner with TeensyDuino version 1.46 if installed to this copy of the IDE.

When you hover over/pop out the Tools menu item for Boards it will show the Teensy boards Paul mentioned.

As noted in post #6 - this 'Hourly Build' copy of the IDE cannot/does not have TeensyDuino installed, so it won't work.

But, No - Verify is the Checkmark icon left of the Upload icon. It is Ctrl+R instead of Ctrl+U.

No, it means verified releases of the Arduino IDE. Your version is not one of these, it's a hourly build, kind of beta version. Uninstall it and install the official Arduino release.

You need a clean and stable Arduino installation first.
Into this one, you'll need to install the Teensyduino plugin to see the Teensy support in the Tools=>Boards menu.

Everything is described step by step on the PJRC website. Please follow the instructions meticulously from here: https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_download.html

This is the page where you get the Teensyduino installer.

https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_download.html

On that page, scroll down to "Install Step 3: Run Teensyduino Installer". You will see 7 screenshots showing all the installer steps. On Windows, if you used Arduino's normal Windows installer, usually all you need to do is click "Next" until the end. If you installed Arduino in a different location, or used the ZIP file instead of the installer, you'll need to select the correct location where you un-zipped the Arduino software.

When you have finished the installer, you will see this screen:

teensyduino_installer_7.png

After you get to this step, run Arduino again. The Tools > Boards menu will then have Teensy 3.5 and the other Teensy boards.

That shows 'HOURLY BUILD' - Teensyduino only installs on indicated release builds. If TeensyDuino was pointed at this IDE for install it would have Failed and offered an explanation on the fail dialog under a button.

Are there multiple copies of the IDE installed/Unzipped? If so it may be on another install.

When TeensyDuino is installed looking at Help a screen shot will should be signed on he upper right corner with TeensyDuino version 1.46 if installed to this copy of the IDE.

When you hover over/pop out the Tools menu item for Boards it will show the Teensy boards Paul mentioned.

You're right, the arduino is an hourly build. It's like that because i had probs installing a non-hourly build but i'll try again and see if that works. strangely the pint that you can't use hourly builds never came up despite hours of searching threads. now that you mention it it makes sense but i'd have thought that would have been more obvious in the install instructions etc but maybe i missed the obvious....i seem to be great at missing the obvious and spotting the obscure.

when you say it may be on another install, i have downloaded a few install files to my 'downloads' folder but i'm pretty sure i only have one version installed under c:/program files (x86). where would others reside?

Thanks for the info but one point here.....perhaps i missed something obvious here but i don't see the documentation for the teensy stating that the hourly build arduino will not work with teensyduino. let me know where that is stated but if it is not, i think it should be. ok, i'm a beginner here (as we all were once) and so perhaps it's obvious to experts, but it would help other novices as well as tech help peeps if this were clearly stated. i tend to miss the obvious and spot the obscure though so let me know if i've done the former and thanks everyone for your kind assistance.

just uninstalled an tried to re-install the basic, non-hourly build 1.8.9 but when i run it there is still no port option and when i go to about it says it's the hourly build version being run??

but i don't see the documentation for the teensy stating that the hourly build arduino will not work with teensyduino. let me know where that is stated but if it is not, i think it should be.

This is the current documentation about which versions are supported. A similar message appears on the first page of the installer.

versions.png

While this specifically does not say anything one way or other about the "hourly" or "nightly" builds, those are clearly called "hourly" versions by Arduino. Perhaps that we list the version numbers with no mention of "hourly" is not clear enough?

uninstalled an tried to re-install the basic, non-hourly build 1.8.9 but when i run it there is still no port option and when i go to about it says it's the hourly build version being run??

Maybe you have more than 1 copy on your computer? Or maybe you didn't really remove the hourly version? Or maybe you mistaken downloaded the wrong one?

Nobody can know, since we can't see your screen. We can't see the exact steps you're performing. If you tell us very specifically what you actually did (not just what you meant to do) with actual screenshots and details of what you really clicked, maybe we can help figure out why you didn't get the proper release version.

Or if you have any friends or co-workers who are skilled with Windows, maybe they can help you delete the old version and then download and install the correct version of the software.

Hi there, to be honest, i do think it would be much better to state that the Teensyduino will not run on hourly builds as i think that will help users.

Finally success!!
Turns out that there was still a version of the hourly build on c:/program files as opposed to c:/program files (x86).
for note of others, i was able to search this by going to 'about' from arduino ide and this showed the install date. i could then search the c drive for 'arduino' and there was a version of arduino hourly build installed to c:/program files on that date. bingo.
so, i just deleted that and reinstalled to x86 drive and reinstalled tinyduino and it all now works.
what a drama!

i definitely think there should be a note on the teensy page where it says to install arduino 'not to install the hourly update version' as this should help others to avoid this pitfall.

thanks for everyone's help on this and here's a joke as a part payback....

Did you hear about the guy who fell into an upholstry machine.....
he's now fully recovered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back