Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!

Thread: ILI9341 CAN Display - Gauge rendering on display

ILI9341 CAN Display - Gauge rendering on display

Hi all,

After spending months getting my automotive CAN BUS display working, I really want to beautify the UI and make it a bit more easier to read.
    My ultimate goal is to display two gauges in the display in place of the two main readouts (Boost & AFR) but I am really struggling with code on this part - I am clueless here.

Here is what I have built so far:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0990.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	18310

What I would like to add is two gauge displays as can be seen below - One for boost, ranging from -30 inHg up to 30 PSI. the other is an Air fuel ratio ranging from roughly 8 to 22.

Name:	defi.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	290.2 KB 
ID:	18311 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aem_afr.jpg 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	18312
    As you can see, the boost gauge is not linear in its layout (90deg for vacuum, 180deg for boost - air fuel layout is roughly 270-300deg).

Hardware being used is a Teensy 3.2 with a can transceiver and a 2.8" ILI9341 display.
    Im using FlexCan and ILI9341_t3 libraries to drive everything.

My questions are:
    1. Is ILI9341_t3 capable of doing what I want?
    2. Will I be sacrificing process speed for refresh rate?
    3. Will the T3.2 be enough or should I upgrade to a T4.0?
    4. Can anyone help me with writing the code for the gauges or provide examples that I can modify?

Cheers,
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Rezo View Post
    Hi all,

After spending months getting my automotive CAN BUS display working, I really want to beautify the UI and make it a bit more easier to read.
    My ultimate goal is to display two gauges in the display in place of the two main readouts (Boost & AFR) but I am really struggling with code on this part - I am clueless here.

Here is what I have built so far:

Name:	IMG_0990.jpg 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	18310

What I would like to add is two gauge displays as can be seen below - One for boost, ranging from -30 inHg up to 30 PSI. the other is an Air fuel ratio ranging from roughly 8 to 22.

Name:	defi.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	290.2 KB 
ID:	18311 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aem_afr.jpg 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	18312
    As you can see, the boost gauge is not linear in its layout (90deg for vacuum, 180deg for boost - air fuel layout is roughly 270-300deg).

Hardware being used is a Teensy 3.2 with a can transceiver and a 2.8" ILI9341 display.
    Im using FlexCan and ILI9341_t3 libraries to drive everything.

My questions are:
    1. Is ILI9341_t3 capable of doing what I want?
    2. Will I be sacrificing process speed for refresh rate?
    3. Will the T3.2 be enough or should I upgrade to a T4.0?
    4. Can anyone help me with writing the code for the gauges or provide examples that I can modify?

Cheers,
    David

I am assuming the gauges work using a voltage from a sensor

you need to output the voltage from your T3.2 to drive them

https://www.arduino.cc/reference/en/...o/analogwrite/

you need to take the can data and convert it to the correct voltage to drive the gauge

the map function may help you convert from one unit to another

https://www.arduino.cc/reference/en/...ions/math/map/

how did you get your can data from the ecu - e.g AFR and oil temperature ?

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget999 View Post
    I am assuming the gauges work using a voltage from a sensor

you need to output the voltage from your T3.2 to drive them

you need to take the can data and convert it to the correct voltage to drive the gauge

I think OP has all that sorted and wants to know how to animate the needle and draw a background image to the display... (I can't help with this)

I did find this https://busy.org/@pakganern/oled-dis...ometer-arduino for a different display but at least some of the major graphics calls look compatable, e.g. .drawCircle()

It doesn't use a background image and I have no idea if it's actually helpful towards what you want to do... anyone?

You could do this with Teensy 3.2 by storing the background image in flash and updating the needle with triangle rasterization on top of it. Since you don't need to actually update other than previous and current frame needle positions, it would be pretty fast.

Quote Originally Posted by oddson View Post
    I think OP has all that sorted and wants to know how to animate the needle and draw a background image to the display... (I can't help with this)

I did find this https://busy.org/@pakganern/oled-dis...ometer-arduino for a different display but at least some of the major graphics calls look compatable, e.g. .drawCircle()

It doesn't use a background image and I have no idea if it's actually helpful towards what you want to do... anyone?
    ok - understood

you may need to use a nextion display instead

I would be keen to find out how to do this, does anyone have an example

The main choke point in pretty pictures would be the display rather than the teensy because of the time taken to send one screen worth of pixels is fixed by the display interface. If you can live with the needle not overlapping the gauge markings the idea would be draw the background image once (or on a very limited rate) and then just draw the black pixels to erase the old needle position and the red pixels for the new position without needing to output a pile of unchanged pixels.

If drawing the needle from first principles you get to revisit your trigonometry. First identify the final angle you want, possibly using some IF statements to handle the divergent scales. Then use sin and cos of that angle times your needle length to get your X and Y end point pixels. To pretty things up a bit and get a wedge shaped needle you can also do things like find the point 3 pixels out from the pivot point at 90 and 270 degrees from your angle, then draw lines from that point to the previously found pointer tip.

Experimenting with something like excel can help get the formulas right without doing lots waiting for code to compile.

Or with a Teensy with more memory like T3.6/3.5 or T4, you can use the ILI9341_t3n library and turn on using frame buffer.

With this you can write the code pretty sloppy and for example each time you wish to update the position of the needle you simply:
    rewrite the whole screen:
    For example have an internal array with the bitmap for the background which you draw, then draw the needle in new position, and then tell the screen to update... Also with this option, you have the option to tell the screen to update using DMA, so you don't have to wait for it to complete to do something else. You may need to wait if you decide you need to update the display again, before you start writing new data to the frame buffer.

Quote Originally Posted by GremlinWrangler View Post
    The main choke point in pretty pictures would be the display rather than the teensy because of the time taken to send one screen worth of pixels is fixed by the display interface. If you can live with the needle not overlapping the gauge markings the idea would be draw the background image once (or on a very limited rate) and then just draw the black pixels to erase the old needle position and the red pixels for the new position without needing to output a pile of unchanged pixels.

If drawing the needle from first principles you get to revisit your trigonometry. First identify the final angle you want, possibly using some IF statements to handle the divergent scales. Then use sin and cos of that angle times your needle length to get your X and Y end point pixels. To pretty things up a bit and get a wedge shaped needle you can also do things like find the point 3 pixels out from the pivot point at 90 and 270 degrees from your angle, then draw lines from that point to the previously found pointer tip.

Experimenting with something like excel can help get the formulas right without doing lots waiting for code to compile.
    Thank you for this - it’s exactly my plan: draw the frame in the setup and update the needle position in the loop.
    But, my maths has not been put to practice in many years and thats actually where I am stuck.

Ill try some of the examples here plus some others I found via Google.

I just might go for a T4.0 to speed up the display rate.

You only need to update pixels for the needle so there's no perf issue and the needle can also overlap the background graphics. You can even have a texture for the needle for some added visual flair. The challenge is to figure out how to do triangle rasterization, but it's not terribly complicated: https://fgiesen.wordpress.com/2013/0...n-in-practice/

You might try: tft.fillTriangle...

This guy has what you want. Just replace all the Adafruit_HX8357 with ILI9341_t3 and make a few other pin assignments. He also has some great plotting software.

https://youtu.be/U5hOU-xxQgk