Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!

Thread: Main chip of Teensy 3.2 Overheating

Main chip of Teensy 3.2 Overheating

Hello , I have some problem on my project. I build the project to Send Value by Serie Communication like the picture that I attachClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Presentation1.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	16610
    I use external Power and I already cut pad between Vin and VUSB . But Sometime my Teensy getting hot some device and Dead . Some Device It's working but Heating around 70 Celcuis at Main chip .I don't know why . Could anyone can explain why ? .
    I read some article they said about Overcurrent / Overvoltage at I/O pin , Power Surge or ESD . Please Help

The picture doesn't suggest how the LED strips get power and GND. Do the high temps continue when the LEDS are disconnected?

Quote Originally Posted by defragster View Post
    The picture doesn't suggest how the LED strips get power and GND. Do the high temps continue when the LEDS are disconnected?
    I use power from Buck Converter to give Teensy and LED Strip (Same Source).After Teensy getting hot It's still hot all the time even I disconnect all component.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ss.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	16611
    Here is my Schematic.

That may help somebody spot something - a photo of the actual build might as well.

Question picture in p#1 show a number 'n'. Will this happen with a single unit - or only multiples connected? Does high heat or Death follow any of the buck converters?

When it gets hot and everything disconnected - and it stays hot - if unplugged and repowered does it go to normal operating temp?

I've not gotten any Teensy processor that hot - not sure what could be in the code that would do that. Might be interesting to pick a free pin for INPUT_PULLUP and then run the code normally when it is HIGH and when it goes low shutdown all the code except go to a simple blink loop and toggle the pin 13 LED and see if the temp drops.

What is this part?

Name:  ss.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  2.8 KB

In the past, we've seen trouble caused by certain step-down power supplies, especially Traco. Many of them require extra capacitors at their input and output. The Traco one in particular has a misleading datasheet which says the input cap is only needed if using a higher input voltage. Testing has shown it becomes horribly unstable without the capacitor in certain situations, like a battery that's low or with lengthy wires connecting to the input power.
    Last edited by PaulStoffregen; 05-13-2019 at 03:14 PM. Reason: typo

Others can chime in and verify my assumptions but I see a potential ground loop issue between your different teensy that could cause power to source back and cause damage. I would look at using rs485 chips to interface your teensy and then utilize dc dc isolation with otpoisolators. This will keep the ground loops from damaging your teensy

Quote Originally Posted by PaulStoffregen View Post
    What is this part?

Name:  ss.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  2.8 KB

In the past, we've seen trouble caused by certain step-down power supplies, especially Traco. Many of them require extra capacitors at their input and output. The Traco one in particular has a misleading datasheet which says the input cap is only needed if using a higher input voltage. Testing has shown it becomes horribly unstable without the capacitor in certain situations, like a battery that's low or with lengthy wires connecting to the input power.
    This is Volt Regulator I buy from aliexpress
    https://th.aliexpress.com/item/Mini-...OrigTitle=true

Could you suggest me the good one of regulator . Thank you Sir.