General question: Teensy 3.6 USB Audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcc

Hi,

(using Teensy 3.6 on a GENTOO Linux box)

honestly...I am confused.

Playing around with the example files I found WavPlayerUSB, compiled it, flashed it and...it does
not behave according to my expectations! SCANDAL! ;)

Jokes aside...
I /thought/: Audio over USB means, that the audio data are transfered via USB from the source
(Teensy 3.6) to the sink (PC), where "someone" take the data and feet it into the soundcard of
the PC.

But the only song I could play perfectly was "The sound of silence" by Simon & Garfunkel...

Then I took a look into the kernel config and alongside with the configuration for "USB Audio YES/NO"
a found a dozen of USB-soundcards (from which none I call my own).

Isn't it possible to play audio comeing from my Teensy 3.6 via USB directly on my PC?
Do I really need a separate USB-dongle-sound-card for this?
By the way: What extra device is expected to show up under /dev when I enable AUDIO for USB
on my Teensie 3.6?

Thanks a lot for any help in advance!
Cheers!
Meino

USB Audio works perfectly!
be aware, that you
a) must configure Audio in USB type (or Serial-Midi-Audio, if you wanted to have Serial)
b) you need a dummy ADC interface (input or output; any other true Audio input/Output works also)

reason for b) is that audio library is event driven. As USB implementation is such that is cannot generate the proper events (1 interrupt every 128 samples and 44.1 kHz sampling rate)
IIRC, b) is also mentioned in the audio GUI

Hi WMXZ,

thanks for your help!

...hrrrmmm...yes....<cough>

What?

Couid you explain what to do in more detail - or a link to a how-to ...you hit a blank spot of
my knowledge about linux. :)

Thanks a lot for your help in advance!
Cheers!
Meino

USB Audio works perfectly!
be aware, that you
a) must configure Audio in USB type (or Serial-Midi-Audio, if you wanted to have Serial)
b) you need a dummy ADC interface (input or output; any other true Audio input/Output works also)

reason for b) is that audio library is event driven. As USB implementation is such that is cannot generate the proper events (1 interrupt every 128 samples and 44.1 kHz sampling rate)
IIRC, b) is also mentioned in the audio GUI

AFAIK:: These notes apply "a)" to the IDE and BOARD setup - for USB type - and for "b)" - that is in the sketch audio specification that can be created from the web layout tool.

Couid you explain what to do in more detail - or a link to a how-to ...you hit a blank spot of
my knowledge about linux. :)
as @defragster noted comment is for teensy programming and not for Linux.
On a Win PC (I do not use Linux) you have to select the Teensy Audio device (Open Sound Settings) to listen to teensy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back