OctoWS2811 VideoDisplay of screen buffer

Status
Not open for further replies.

oranjoose

Hi, I'm working on a project where I'd like to show at least some portion of a computer screen on an LED array controlled by Teensy 3.2 and OctoWS2811 adapter.

The movie2serial Processing script appears to send individual frames of a video file to the microcontroller through the VideoDisplay script. However, instead of frames of a video, I'd like to send frames from the screen buffer. I'd appreciate anyone who would be able to point me in the right direction :). Thanks!

Not for embedded systems, but there exists a windows tool called LEDstudio. It can display still pictures or videos in a pre-defined (via setup) screen area, executes frame grabbing at the same time and send it over to a LED panel. I know of 60 pharmacies in France which use that for huge LED panels (1m x 2m in 192 x 384px resolution) in their shop windows.

Not an immediate solution for you since it is tailored to fit a specific Chinese LED panel controller, but it could give you some inspiration.

I should mention that I have also used Glediator to display portions of my screen but I have only used it on small setups. Not sure how it scales up.

Thanks for the replies. I got it to work by translating the screen buffer to the LEDs through serial communication in C# Mono.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back