Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!

Thread: OctoWS2811 VideoDisplay of screen buffer

OctoWS2811 VideoDisplay of screen buffer

Hi, I'm working on a project where I'd like to show at least some portion of a computer screen on an LED array controlled by Teensy 3.2 and OctoWS2811 adapter.

The movie2serial Processing script appears to send individual frames of a video file to the microcontroller through the VideoDisplay script. However, instead of frames of a video, I'd like to send frames from the screen buffer. I'd appreciate anyone who would be able to point me in the right direction . Thanks!

Not for embedded systems, but there exists a windows tool called LEDstudio. It can display still pictures or videos in a pre-defined (via setup) screen area, executes frame grabbing at the same time and send it over to a LED panel. I know of 60 pharmacies in France which use that for huge LED panels (1m x 2m in 192 x 384px resolution) in their shop windows.

Not an immediate solution for you since it is tailored to fit a specific Chinese LED panel controller, but it could give you some inspiration.

@oranjoose I once got the script at this site running on my setup. As you can see on the link, the author had some problems with it but it ran ok (a little jerky) on my computer. Maybe you can get it to work. https://discourse.processing.org/t/g...ry-leak/140/12

I should mention that I have also used Glediator to display portions of my screen but I have only used it on small setups. Not sure how it scales up.