External amplifier doesn't work with audio shield

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I played several time my music using teensy3.6+audio shield thought the headphone jack into a beats headphone without problem. Now I'm trying to do it using an amplifier, but the sound is very low. the amplifier works well if it's connected to the pc but it doesn't with teensy audio board. why? Does anyone have an idea of why?
thanks for the help

The active speaker must be connected to the line output of the audio shield, and NOT to the headphones output. The latter risks to give problems with the ground potential and to destroy the SGTL5000 chip in the worst case. The ground connection of the headphone jack is a virtual ground with 1.65V DC potential, uniquely for use with headphones. Active external devices might create a short between that virtual ground and the normal GND, thus destroying the internal 1.65V bias circuit.

But all that is written in the SGTL5000 data sheet...

In other words, the headphone jack is meant for headphones and your amplifier needs to be connected to the line out of the audio board. Those pads are on the other side of the board where it says 'Line Out'. Hope that helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back