Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!

Thread: Midi Controller - Teensy ++2.0 or Teensy 3.2?

Midi Controller - Teensy ++2.0 or Teensy 3.2?

Hopefully this is not too dumb a question...

I'm just assembling a large MIDI controller which has 36 pots and 47 buttons. I think I have enough 74HC4051 chips and pins available to make this work with either of the Teensy I have to hand.

It seems easier to use the ++ 2.0 and keep everything at 5v throughout, but before I start soldering...
    Is there any possible advantage (latency wise of other reasons) in using the Teensy 3.2? or can I save this for a project that processes audio?

thanks for any advice on this.

Quote Originally Posted by the_duckchild View Post
    Is there any possible advantage (latency wise of other reasons) in using the Teensy 3.2? or can I save this for a project that processes audio?
    Software processing the analog readings with something like ResponsiveAnalogRead library to smooth out signal noise may work better with the additional power. (A simple DIY deadband-hysteresis algorithm would likely be fine on either.)

Latency on knobs sending 7-bit MIDI has to be pretty long to be problematic so you likely can make something from the T++2.

I don't build massive contollers myself so my experience with mux is limited but this post might be helpful.

https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/52856...l=1#post181888

Quote Originally Posted by oddson View Post
    Software processing the analog readings with something like ResponsiveAnalogRead library to smooth out signal noise may work better with the additional power. (A simple DIY deadband-hysteresis algorithm would likely be fine on either.)

Latency on knobs sending 7-bit MIDI has to be pretty long to be problematic so you likely can make something from the T++2.

I don't build massive contollers myself so my experience with mux is limited but this post might be helpful.

https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/52856...l=1#post181888
    thank you, that's really useful - and that thread is exactly the point at which I have just arrived and exactly what I needed to read.

I am going to try it with the ++2 - if ResponsiveAnalogRead is an issue I'll just have to learn to make my own!