Midi Controller - Teensy ++2.0 or Teensy 3.2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully this is not too dumb a question...

I'm just assembling a large MIDI controller which has 36 pots and 47 buttons. I think I have enough 74HC4051 chips and pins available to make this work with either of the Teensy I have to hand.

It seems easier to use the ++ 2.0 and keep everything at 5v throughout, but before I start soldering...
Is there any possible advantage (latency wise of other reasons) in using the Teensy 3.2? or can I save this for a project that processes audio?

thanks for any advice on this.

Is there any possible advantage (latency wise of other reasons) in using the Teensy 3.2? or can I save this for a project that processes audio?
Software processing the analog readings with something like ResponsiveAnalogRead library to smooth out signal noise may work better with the additional power. (A simple DIY deadband-hysteresis algorithm would likely be fine on either.)

Latency on knobs sending 7-bit MIDI has to be pretty long to be problematic so you likely can make something from the T++2.

I don't build massive contollers myself so my experience with mux is limited but this post might be helpful.

https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/52856-MIDI-and-MUX?p=181888&viewfull=1#post181888

Software processing the analog readings with something like ResponsiveAnalogRead library to smooth out signal noise may work better with the additional power. (A simple DIY deadband-hysteresis algorithm would likely be fine on either.)

Latency on knobs sending 7-bit MIDI has to be pretty long to be problematic so you likely can make something from the T++2.

I don't build massive contollers myself so my experience with mux is limited but this post might be helpful.

https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/52856-MIDI-and-MUX?p=181888&viewfull=1#post181888

thank you, that's really useful - and that thread is exactly the point at which I have just arrived and exactly what I needed to read.

I am going to try it with the ++2 - if ResponsiveAnalogRead is an issue I'll just have to learn to make my own!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back