Python script not reading from serial unless teensy is rebooted

Status
Not open for further replies.

frodojedi

Hi all,
I want to send some analog sensor data from a Teensy 3.2 to a mac running a python script (I am using the usual pyserial module and I send data using Serial.print() in the arduino sketch).
The teensy is correctly sending on the serial port the data, as I can see it using the serial monitor. However, only the first time that I run the python script the data are handled by the script itself, if I stop the script then no data seem to be read in the serial buffer. To make the script work I necessarily have to re-launch the Arduino IDE and then upload the sketch.

Indeed the second time I run the script (after having stopped it), I can see that the pyserial function serial_port.inWaiting() does not give any data.
Code:
if (serial_port.inWaiting() > 0):
   print("serial_port.inWaiting() > 0") # does not print anything the second time I launch the script

I have checked that the second time that I launch the script the serial connection is open (using self.serial_port.isOpen())

What is preventing the python script to get the serial data the second time? Why serial_port.inWaiting() is not seeing that there is data in the input buffer?

In the arduino sketch code I have added the line while(!Serial); in void setup()

This is my teensy code:
Code:
int sensor = 0;

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(115200);
  while(!Serial);
}

void loop() {

sensor = analogRead(0);
  Serial.print(sensor);
}

This is the python code.

Code:
#!/usr/bin/env python3

import serial
import time
import signal
import sys

def keyboard_interrupt(signal, frame):
    serial_port.close()          
    time.sleep(2)
    exit(0)

serial_port = serial.Serial("/dev/tty.usbmodem1225061", 115200)

signal.signal(signal.SIGINT, keyboard_interrupt)
signal.signal(signal.SIGTERM, keyboard_interrupt)

if serial_port.isOpen():
    print(serial_port.name + ' is open...')

while True:
    if (serial_port.inWaiting() > 0):
        sensor = serial_port.read().decode("utf-8") 
        print('sensor: "{}" '.format(sensor))

Any suggestion? What is blocking the communication?

Anyone can help?
When I relaunch the script I check that the serial connection is open (with the isOpen() function, which returns True). So the port is open. Now, the only way I got to have the in_waiting >0 is to place a serial_port.read(size=1) just after the creation of the serial connection. If I don't do this in_waiting will be always 0 the second time I launch the script. Do you think that this is a bug of the pyserial module? Or am I not fully understanding something here about the teensy serial connection?

Basic suggestion is to add a delay(100); to your Teensy loop so there is time for all the other USB things to happen rather than data as fast as the ADC can cycle.

Yes thanks, actually I did it already but forgot to update the code. Nothing changes. The second time the script runs the in_waiting is 0, despite the teensy is actually sending data and despite on the PC side the python script says that the port is correctly open.... what I am missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back