High speed serial communications between multiple Teensies

Status
Not open for further replies.

RRdae

Background
I am close to finalizing the design for a robotic platform that consists of individual 3 phase motor drivers directed by a central control module, each using it's own Teensy 3.6. Each motor module is to perform current sensing, position sensing via onboard encoder, and direct 3 phase motor control 20khz PWM. The vast majority of serial communication will be unidirectional, with the control module issuing directions to the motor modules en mass (each module receiving the same instruction set simultaneously and parsing variables relevant to that particular module), similar to CANopen without the sequential read. Bidirectional communication will be performed by the control module querying an id specific to a single motor module, which will then respond with the appropriate data. The motor modules will never initiate communication.

Communication is to be performed via serial using ISL83078EIBZA differential transceivers to reduce cross talk and increase range to at least 10 feet. I have been able to achieve a data transmission rate of 15.4MB/s between 3 Teensy 3.6's in this fashion, verified by scope.

Status
I have functional prototypes and each system has been tested individually, but I have not yet attempted communication while the motor driver section is running. I am concerned that the process of receiving serial data packets will degrade the resolution of the motor control.

Before I spend the capital to prototype the, hopefully last, prototype board design, I have a few questions that I hope you guys can help me with:

1. Is there a Teensy to Teensy communication method available with greater than 15MB/s transfer rate for small data xfer (<15 bytes)?

2. Will the interrupts for the serial communication interfere with the PWM timers for the motor driver? In other words, when receiving data will the PWM waveform be effected or will it hold it's current state?

3. The actual transfer of data takes 5.3us, but what kind of overhead does the transmission require of the Teensy? How long is the processor tied up when sending and receiving data over Serial?

Thank you

"2. Will the interrupts for the serial communication interfere with the PWM timers for the motor driver? In other words, when receiving data will the PWM waveform be effected or will it hold it's current state?"

I am concerned I am having a similar problem using serial communication - I am seeing the PWM timers behaving strangely at times

when the teensy is programmed to sweep the pwm without serial communicaton all is well

you can see my issues here - https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/56245-large-volumes-of-serial-data

what are your thoughts ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back