Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!

Thread: tennsy 3.6 and usb

tennsy 3.6 and usb

hi @all,

i am currently using a teensy 3.2 with external sd-card and sdfat

there is already an easy way to store data on an usb-stick,
    something like that the sdfat for sd-cards ?

i have read a lot here in the forum but most of the posts
    are too high for me ... sorry

no one has a tip or advice on this subject ;(

Quote Originally Posted by fu4711 View Post
    no one has a tip or advice on this subject ;(
    Maybe, because your question is not clear?
    Are you sure you wanted to connect a USB-stick to a Teensy 3.2?
    How you wanted to do that?
    AFAIK, T3.2 is only a USB-Device and does not support USB-Host without additional HW.
    For USBHost most of us use a T3.6.

You might look at the thread: https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/55821...l=1#post203623
    We do have some USB storage devices working using the libraries mentioned in that thread.

Only Teensy 3.6 has USB host capability. The upcoming Teensy 4.0 will also have USB host. But Teensy 3.2 does not. You need at least Teensy 3.6 to connect USB devices, like a USB memory stick.

Quote Originally Posted by WMXZ View Post
    Maybe, because your question is not clear?
    Are you sure you wanted to connect a USB-stick to a Teensy 3.2?
    How you wanted to do that?
    AFAIK, T3.2 is only a USB-Device and does not support USB-Host without additional HW.
    For USBHost most of us use a T3.6.
    see subject ... i use an 3.6

Quote Originally Posted by KurtE View Post
    You might look at the thread: https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/55821...l=1#post203623
    We do have some USB storage devices working using the libraries mentioned in that thread.
    i've read this, but unfortunately i can't get any further with it.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulStoffregen View Post
    Only Teensy 3.6 has USB host capability. The upcoming Teensy 4.0 will also have USB host. But Teensy 3.2 does not. You need at least Teensy 3.6 to connect USB devices, like a USB memory stick.

yes, i am aware of that ...
    i just can't imagine that nobody on this planet with a 3.6 would like to log onto an usb-stick
    i can't be the only one
    so i'm looking for a lib that supports that
    i'm not good enough to implement something like this myself

I could also switch to http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/usb-ho...v2?keyword=usb
    with "flash drive"-firmware
    but then I don't need a 3.6 but can stay with the 3.2
    although I am fascinated by the new possibilities of the 3.6.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulStoffregen View Post
    The upcoming Teensy 4.0 will also have USB host.
    when it will be available
    then there will also be a writing on usb-stick example

Indeed for T_3.2 noted in OP - an external HOST Shield would be required.

The link from KurtE points to Working - work in progress - that allows file access using T_3.6 USB Host connection. If anyone did it before it was not shared until that thread was started and it was developed in coordination with the soon to be released Teensy 4.0 that has similar USB Host support.

If you get a T_3.6 {And the USB connector soldered to the T_3.6} and want to see USB Host access to USB Data Stick - post on that thread and we can help you get the needed libraries to compile a working sketch. As noted it is a work in progress - but have made it work here as have others on that thread. That will also work when the Teensy 4 ships - but the T_3.6 will be easier to wire up given the through hole pins.

Quote Originally Posted by defragster View Post
    Indeed for T_3.2 noted in OP - an external HOST Shield would be required.

The link from KurtE points to Working - work in progress - that allows file access using T_3.6 USB Host connection. If anyone did it before it was not shared until that thread was started and it was developed in coordination with the soon to be released Teensy 4.0 that has similar USB Host support.

If you get a T_3.6 {And the USB connector soldered to the T_3.6} and want to see USB Host access to USB Data Stick - post on that thread and we can help you get the needed libraries to compile a working sketch. As noted it is a work in progress - but have made it work here as have others on that thread. That will also work when the Teensy 4 ships - but the T_3.6 will be easier to wire up given the through hole pins.
    thx you for your fast reply
    i will wait for the teensy 4 and help myself with "USB Host Controller IC" in my projects
    how much longer do we have to wait for en teeny 4

Paul's notes suggest timing will be by end of July - but nothing official on the release plans or pricing yet.

You could get a T_3.6 now and see it working by then. If you look at the T_3.6 soldering a Female USB for Host usage is easy - Looking at the T_4 beta thread now has a card image ( post #3 ) - still missing the photo - but it shows the Host connect is two bottom side pads - that need to be pulled off and joined with 5V and GND as needed to feed a connector - not as easy as soldering the connector to the T_3.6 - though it certainly can be made to work.

Those links look familiar from the other thread - check the thread or the github branches for the latest notes, and there is updated USBHost_t36 linked on that thread too.

Unzipping the latest copies to 'sketchbook'\libraries is all it takes - and the samples used there will show it to work. I think that is much easier than wiring up a host shield adapter and making that work - and the T_3.6 like the T_4 Host USB chip is the faster 480 Mbps variety and can get 4+ Mbps transfers - and the T_3.6 has more memory for buffering as well … not as much as the T_4 - but 4X the T_3.2.

it's my turn

ok, i use platform.io ide

install uSDFS via lib-manager

cd project/lib
    git clone https://github.com/wwatson4506/MSC.git

cd ../src
    cp ???/uSDFS_test/uSDFS_test.ino main.cpp

add follow line on top
    #include <Arduino.h>

result --> works 1a

thanks for all comments