Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!

Thread: Linkage problem with std::string

Threaded View

Linkage problem with std::string

Hello all,

I'm running into a linking problem with some very basic code. I'm using Teensyduino 1.44 and Arduino 1.8.7 on Windows 10.
    First the code, this is the simplest program exhibiting the problem.
    Code:
    #include <string>
    using namespace std;

void setup() {
      // put your setup code here, to run once:

}

void loop() {
      // put your main code here, to run repeatedly:
      string a("foo");

if(a == "foo")
      {

}
      else if(a == string("bar"))
      {

}
    }
    Now the results (full output attached)
    Code:
    Linking everything together...
    "C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Arduino\\hardware\\teensy/../tools/arm/bin/arm-none-eabi-gcc" -O2 -Wl,--gc-sections,--relax,--defsym=__rtc_localtime=1560079820 "-TC:\\Program Files (x86)\\Arduino\\hardware\\teensy\\avr\\cores\\teensy3/mk20dx256.ld" -lstdc++ -mthumb -mcpu=cortex-m4 -fsingle-precision-constant -o "C:\\Users\\ATLANT~1\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_389382/linker_error_test.ino.elf" "C:\\Users\\ATLANT~1\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_389382\\sketch\\linker_error_test.ino.cpp.o" "C:\\Users\\ATLANT~1\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_389382/core\\core.a" "-LC:\\Users\\ATLANT~1\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_389382" -larm_cortexM4l_math -lm
    C:\Users\ATLANT~1\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_389382\sketch\linker_error_test.ino.cpp.o: In function `void std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >::_M_construct<char const*>(char const*, char const*, std::forward_iterator_tag)':

c:\program files (x86)\arduino\hardware\tools\arm\arm-none-eabi\include\c++\5.4.1\bits/basic_string.tcc:219: undefined reference to `std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >::_M_create(unsigned int&, unsigned int)'

c:\program files (x86)\arduino\hardware\tools\arm\arm-none-eabi\include\c++\5.4.1\bits/basic_string.tcc:212: undefined reference to `std::__throw_logic_error(char const*)'

C:\Users\ATLANT~1\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_389382\sketch\linker_error_test.ino.cpp.o: In function `bool std::operator==<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >(std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&, char const*)':

c:\program files (x86)\arduino\hardware\tools\arm\arm-none-eabi\include\c++\5.4.1\bits/basic_string.h:5016: undefined reference to `std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >::compare(char const*) const'

collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status

Error compiling for board Teensy 3.2 / 3.1.
    This appears to be a linkage error against the standard library.

Based on this, this, and this I tried adding -D_GLIBCXX_USE_CXX11_ABI=0 to the compiler flags. This produces a different set of undefined references (see attached) and while none of them include the std::__cxx11 prefix, they're still in the standard library.

I tried removing the two libraries that get linked (-larm_cortextM41_math -lm) and nothing changed.

I tried a different board (Teensy 3.6 vs. Teensy 3.1/3.2) and nothing changed.

I made sure I wasn't picking up a library, nope no difference.

For good measure I purged the Arduino install and reinstalled. Nope not that. For the record I also see it on Teensyduino 1.43.

I saw I had some other GCC ARM version installed; got rid of them and no change so it's not picking up the wrong version.

So I'm at a loss. I'm fairly certain I've used std::string in the past so I'm not sure what the problem is.
    Attached Files Attached Files