Teensy 3.6 no longer programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoneCode

Hi,

After several months of use, my Teensy 3.6 no longer responds to uploads from Teensyduino. It has uploaded code on it that continues to work but I cannot upload anything else. I simply get the 'Teensy did not respond to a USB-based request to enter program mode.' continually. Using the pushbutton to manual program does not work - Teensy loader software doesn't respond.

I've read through the existing advice but nothing seems to work for me:

- The device is genuine, it was ordered directly from PJRC
- The computer recognizes the Teensy and its existing uploaded code - it was programmed to be in keyboard mode and will type the keystrokes sequences on it.
- The USB cable has data lines and is brand new.
- The program pin reads 3V and properly drops to 0 when pushed
- it is using Arduino 1.8.9 and Teensyduino 1.46
- I also installed the software on a second computer and it exhibits the same behavior.

Any help would be appreciated.

The T_3.6 ships with a 15 second Restore feature that may be helpful if the problem is confusion on the chip - and not hardware damage.

To activate this will WIPE the processor of any current code and restore internal required details for normal function.

> Get a timer handy with seconds you need to count to 15.
> Power the Teensy 3.6
> Watching the timer press and hold the Teensy Button for 15 seconds, then release the button
> There will be no obvious indication of action
> The T_3.6 should now be blank and ready to do an Upload with the button
- the timing window is limited to prevent accidental wiping - it may take an additional attempt to actuate this Restore

Get a clean Blink or something that will show operation with USB connectivity and perhaps printing.
Do a verify or compile build and press the button
If the problem was on chip confusion that should have restored proper function

Thanks for the suggestion.

The 15 second restore does not appear to be working for me either, I've tried multiple times.
The already uploaded program remains on the Teensy. This is bizarre.

If the prior program remains - the 15 sec restore did not complete - for reason of damage or timing.

Do you have a USB battery pack that will power the T_3.6? I've done it that way assuring there was nothing else active over USB.

Is anything connected to the Teensy pins?

Unfortunately I do not have a battery pack. Currently no pins are connected, just the USB. I've been using a timer each reset.

Additional attempts have resulted in the same thing, no reset.

Very Odd - does the LED stay on or blink with the current sketch showing it is running? Does it stop when the Button 'clicks'?

It can be run from a phone charger's cable as well - but not sure that is in any way telling ...

Can you remove the Teensy 3.6 from the rest of the hardware, to test with only the USB cable and nothing else connected?

My uploaded sketch doesn't have any modifications to the LED. It remains off through all these processes, even when the button is clicked.

Paul - These tests have been performed with just the Teensy connected to the USB port. No other pins are connected.

These tests have been performed with just the Teensy connected to the USB port. No other pins are connected.

Did you buy this Teensy 3.6 directly from PJRC, or through a distributor?

Is it still in original condition (other than loading your code into the flash), or has it been soldered or otherwise physically altered?

I've also been having some of issues (not seeing teensy port, sd card failure, etc) since updating to the latest Teensyduino and 1.8.9 Arduino IDE. I also had an unwanted Windows update (grr). What I've done for the missing port is go into Device Manager, View Hidden, then delete all the ports. Then I plug the 3.6 back it. Usually works then...but honestly, it's hit or miss. I think the latest Teensyduino update may have a few hiccups. Perhaps the Wire library...just guessing right now (too tired). Seems like things are smoother when I remove that library from my sketch but that's not a solution because I need the Wire library. I will try again tomorrow but it's most likely a task for the experts to iron out. Good luck StoneCode!

Did you buy this Teensy 3.6 directly from PJRC, or through a distributor?

Is it still in original condition (other than loading your code into the flash), or has it been soldered or otherwise physically altered?

Just realized that it was my 3.2 that was ordered directly. This 3.6 was ordered through RobotShop.

It is a 3.6 w/ Pins. No modifications have been made to the teensy device.

I am having similar problem after updating Teensyduino 1.46 and Arduino 1.8.9. Teensy board that has been working fine for over a year now no longer communicates with X-Plane 1.34 64 bit Windows. Is there a way to rollback to a previous Teensyduino version to see if the previous version works?

Sounds like the PB switch may be damaged somehow. I would look at the card that came with the Teensy and apply a jumper wire from ground to the program pad briefly and see if the Teensy responds to a program attempt.

KurtE - Tried the download link for several of the prior versions but it says the file not found. Example response from typing in "https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_143/teensyduinoinstall.exe" is:

The requested URL /teensy/td_144/teensyduinoinstall.exe was not found on this server.

Do you have any other suggestions on the previous versions file locations?

@ChipDeMoss each of the links in p#16 brought up offers to save the .EXE for prior versions

Shorting the link shows the folder of the various OS offerings: https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_146/ and https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_145/

@StoneCode: perhaps it is the button - that is what I was trying to determine with the LED being active when running. Sounds like it is not in the running sketch - but it does have USB output to SerMon? Does that stop on Button press? It should - if not press the button again to the click and a bit mor. If it works with a firmer press that is needed for the 15sec RESTORE to work as well. I did have one shipped in my original KS reward that had odd button response.

Example response from typing in "https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_143/teensyduinoinstall.exe" is:

The requested URL /teensy/td_144/teensyduinoinstall.exe was not found on this server.

The URLs are case sensitive. It's not working because you changed 2 uppercase letters to lowercase. It's "TeensyduinoInstall", not "teensyduinoinstall". Usually it's best to right-click the download link and copy the URL to clipboard. Then paste into the browser address bar and edit just the 3 digit number, so you know you've not altered any other part of the URL.

Also, please be aware you will need to reinstall Arduino, because the installer isn't able to downgrade a previous install (it doesn't know how to delete files that future versions add, so the refusal is a safety feature to make sure you don't end up with a corrupted install - even if it feels like an annoyance at the time). It requires Arduino that's either fresh without Teensyduino, or a copy with the same or a prior copy of Teensyduino. Best to just reinstall Arduino so you have a fresh copy. Or extract a fresh copy from the ZIP file (not EXE installer) to a new folder, so you can have multiple copies side-by-side. But if you do that, be aware that keeping track of more than 1 copy of Arduino on Microsoft Windows isn't easy. Often Windows will run the wrong/unintended copy when you click stuff. You can always click Help > About in Arduino to check which one you're really running.

@StoneCode: perhaps it is the button - that is what I was trying to determine with the LED being active when running. Sounds like it is not in the running sketch - but it does have USB output to SerMon? Does that stop on Button press? It should - if not press the button again to the click and a bit mor. If it works with a firmer press that is needed for the 15sec RESTORE to work as well. I did have one shipped in my original KS reward that had odd button response.

Unfortunately the uploaded sketch was set to Keyboard mode only, so no actual Serial output. The keys themselves continue to press.

However, when I open the serial monitor when it's plugged in and press the button, the title of the window shows the port is going offline for a second and coming back.

Wow. Wonderful, after around 20 straight attempts to reset using a stop watch for 15 seconds, it finally worked, and i was able to upload the Blink sketch that works.

However it seems to exhibit the same behaviour as before, unable to upload once a sketch is on there.
I can reliably get it to reset to blank now but this seems to be the only time i can upload (even then still doesn't automatically go, i have to use the button to manually program).

@StoneCold wrote: Unfortunately the uploaded sketch was set to Keyboard mode only, so no actual Serial output. The keys themselves continue to press.

I think the serial port is closing when the Teensy acts as a keyboard.

Perhaps while debugging your code in this case, when the USB acts as a keyboard, you should either:

1.) Use a FTDI USB interface and use serial #1 as an alternate serial output.

2.) List your keystrokes via serial THEN convert to output of keystrokes via USB when you are satisfied that the program is working as intended.

Wow. Wonderful, after around 20 straight attempts to reset using a stop watch for 15 seconds, it finally worked, and i was able to upload the Blink sketch that works.

However it seems to exhibit the same behaviour as before, unable to upload once a sketch is on there.
I can reliably get it to reset to blank now but this seems to be the only time i can upload (even then still doesn't automatically go, i have to use the button to manually program).

That is much more positive than before - at least the TWO onboard processors show some degree of full functionality! Was it a firmer Button press beyond 'click' that made the difference?

This sketch isn't quite 4 years old - but I posted it for diagnostic use - it shows when it starts and then Blinks and prints with regularity automatically shows the Compile time each time it is rebuilt - the text out or blink rate can be quickly changed as well:

Look Here :: Can-t-communicate-with-Teensy-3-2-through-Teensyduino

Maybe reading the post text will suggest something else for troubleshooting - seems like your USB cable or PC connect or the Button isn't running 100%.

If the Button is right - every time it clicks the Blink will stop and nothing more - if it keeps running or resets/restart the program through setup() there is a problem.

Just realized that it was my 3.2 that was ordered directly. This 3.6 was ordered through RobotShop.

It is a 3.6 w/ Pins. No modifications have been made to the teensy device.

I sent you an email. Please take a look at the email account you use for the forum.

-Robin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back