Flashing Teensy 3.2 without USB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nil_dib

I physically crashed the USB connector on my Teensy 3.2 board ... is there any way to flash the Teensy without having a USB connected?

Thx

No, USB is the Teensy supported way to communicate with the bootloader processor to initiate the code loading over USB.

Others have made ways to flash code to the processor - though not that I could point to - but even so it would require that code to reside on the teensy at hand - which it can't without a USB connection.

There are USB pads on the bottom that can be used to wire up USB - and there is at least one OSH Park published purple board that will solder on and hold a fresh USB connector - that link isn't handy - but a search should find it.

I'd get an USB cable of suitable length with a standard USB male on one end, and cut off the other end.

I'd also get an USB female breakout board, like this one.

Connect the USB cable to the breakout board, and you can use your multimeter to probe which wire in the cable is which.

Then, I'd solder the four cable wires to the VUSB, D-, D+, and GND pads underneath:
card7b_rev1.png

Note that the pads and solder joints are pretty fragile, so it's imperative to keep the USB cable fixed with respect to the Teensy; perhaps using hot melt glue or UV-curing glue to glue the cable to the USB connector, pointing to the other end of the Teensy.

The end result is a Teensy 3.2, with a fixed USB cable, and a standard male USB connector on the end.

Greate! I just did not see that the USB pins can be accessed from the backside! I'll give it a try. Thanks a lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back