Teensy 3.2 smoked; everything works but I2C

Status
Not open for further replies.

wenjd

Hi, my Teensy 3.2 was on a breadboard, connected with Raspberry Pi via its GPIO pins.
Teensy was the only module on the breadboard.

Everything, the sketch and I2C communication between Teensy and RPi worked, but I made a dumb mistake of connecting RPi's 5V pinout to Teensy's 3.3V in (instead of the 3.6-6V vin).
Teensy got really hot, and there was some smoke coming out of the black chip in the middle.
I disconnected everything soon, and let it cool down.

After a while, I made sure I connect 3.3V on RPi to 3.3V on Teensy, and tried I2C communication (Wire class). Teensy still ran the sketch that was uploaded, but Raspberry Pi kept not detecting Teensy.
I tried connecting RPi to another I2C device (OLED module), and it could detect the OLED module well. I also tried moving Teensy to another location on the breadboard.

Bottom line is, I can still upload code onto Teensy using the USB port connected to another computer, Teensy runs the script, but I2C (Teensy side) seems not working..

Has anyone had similar experience? Any advice for what to try?
Thank you in advance!

Don‘t waste your time, trash it and take the next one out of the drawer. After smoking, the chip will never again be 100% reliable and other issues might show up, soon. At today‘s hourly IT wages, a new Teensy 3.2 costs less than 15min of work, and thus, all attempts to diagnose or fix whatever will be more expensive than buying a new one.

Bottom line is, I can still upload code onto Teensy using the USB port connected to another computer, Teensy runs the script, but I2C (Teensy side) seems not working..

Wow, that's really amazing it can still partially work.

Has anyone had similar experience?

Usually touching 5V power to the 3.3V power pin completely destroys a Teensy. You got really lucky.

Any advice for what to try?

Only use the abused Teensy for a non-critical project. Definitely don't install is anywhere if failure & replacement would be difficult or costly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back