PT8211 Not Working After Upgrade to Arduino IDE 1.8.9 and Teensy Loader 1.46

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iain G

Simple 440Hz tone generator works perfectly with the PT8211 Audio board and Teensy 3.2 developed using the PJRC Audio Design Tool, Arduino IDE 1.8.1 and Teensy Loader 1.41 under Windows 10.

#include <Audio.h>
#include <Wire.h>
#include <SPI.h>
#include <SD.h>
#include <SerialFlash.h>

// GUItool: begin automatically generated code
AudioSynthWaveformSine sine1; //xy=329,317
AudioOutputPT8211 out1; //xy=523,317
AudioConnection patchCord1(sine1, 0, out1, 0);
AudioConnection patchCord2(sine1, 0, out1, 1);
// GUItool: end automatically generated code

void setup() {
AudioMemory(20);
sine1.amplitude(0.40);
sine1.frequency(440);
}

void loop() {
}

As a control, a similar simple program for the SGTL5000 audio board and Teensy 3.2 also works perfectly with the same Arduino IDE 1.8.1 and Teensy Loader 1.41.

#include <Audio.h>
#include <Wire.h>
#include <SPI.h>
#include <SD.h>
#include <SerialFlash.h>

// GUItool: begin automatically generated code
AudioSynthWaveformSine sine1; //xy=329,317
AudioOutputI2S out1; //xy=523,317
AudioConnection patchCord1(sine1, 0, out1, 0);
AudioConnection patchCord2(sine1, 0, out1, 1);
AudioControlSGTL5000 sgtl5000_1; //xy=418,391
// GUItool: end automatically generated code

void setup() {
AudioMemory(20);
sgtl5000_1.enable();
sgtl5000_1.volume(0.25);
sine1.amplitude(0.40);
sine1.frequency(440);
}

void loop() {
}

I then installed the latest Arduino IDE 1.8.9 and Teensy Loader 1.46 on a new PC and recompiled both programs. The SGTL5000 board and program works fine, producing the 440Hz tone. However, the PT8211 board and program produces no sound. All you hear is "air". Recompiling back on the 1.8.1/1.41 environment and the PT8211 works fine again.

Is anyone aware of any changes or bugs specific to the PT8211 in the latest tools releases? Thanks for any insight.

Follow Up:

Also getting the same exact behavior with the PT8211 using a Teensy 3.5. Works fine with 1.8.1/1.41, but no sound with 1.8.9/1.46. SGTL5000 using a Teensy 3.5 works fine with both 1.8.1/1.41 and 1.8.9/1.46.

From context it seems that the Arduino is the version noted as TeensyDuino installs and compiled - the Windows version would not.

I can confirm the AUDIO Board versions work on T_3.5 IDE1.89 TD1.46b1 and beta T4 with IDE1.89 and TD1.47 current Beta where T_3.5 also works

To test - I built up a PJRC PT8211 Audio board - I get static noise with it when running the sgtl5000 code versions

But in neither case {TD 1.46 or 1.47} did the PT8211 code make sound - and I tried the Guitar.ino as well with the indicated edits made to move to PT8211 and remove sgtl5000. Just a soothing AIR sound with some slight audible sounds when the Teensy was powered.

I found an IDE1.88 and TD1.45b2 install and the PT8211 GUITAR and posted TONE code works! - Good to know my board works!

Paul: Audio Lib use of PT8211 seems broken with TD1.46 and 1.47

Last edited:
Thanks for investigating and confirming. Thought I losing it for a while unable to get such a simple program working. Will back out to the older version as a workaround for a while.

Glad to help. I've been wanting to get a running PT8211 so I ordered from to PJRC ship with first T4 Beta but never soldered up. Good you posted this - if I had soldered I would have assumed I failed on my assembly when it didn't work with current IDE. Knowing to try earlier IDE showed the board does work.

I posted a note on T4 Beta thread because it should be tested to work there. Maybe @Frank_B will see what broke it as IIRC he was the one who made it work.

Phew, this is such a relief! I just got back my first ever PCB order and was using the PT8211 for the first time. I was totally sure I'd done something wrong but couldn't for the life of me work out what!! Wish I'd seen this post a couple of days ago though. Thanks for posting!!!

Indeed - glad I had a usable TD1.45 to try as soldering that board with SMD PT8211 would have left me wondering given the current versions failing as observed.

Hopefully Paul or FrankB will recognize this.

Looking at TD1.46 change log I see AUDIO was touched - but note shows it was for an unrelated device. I did a quick look at sources but nothing gave me a starting path to look at code I haven't seen before with the lame installed beta versions I have on hand for sources.

I'll look next weekend. There are still some TODOs for T4, anyway. If I have time, I'll try to work on some of them, too. @Defragster does it work with a T4?

I'll look next weekend. There are still some TODOs for T4, anyway. If I have time, I'll try to work on some of them, too. @Defragster does it work with a T4?

Hi Frank B : No it does not work on T4 - I posted there - I'll find it on that thread and update for you to find.

Yes, don't know what the problem is with T3.x.. I'll find out (but not today).

Edit: Have to setup the Hardware, first.

Last edited:
As a quick final followup to this old thread, I tested PT8211 today using TD 1.49-beta3, on both Teensy 3.6 and 4.0. Everything seems to be working fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back