Designing a pcb ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The latest versions of EAGLE are really good. Much has been done and improved. The Autorouter has also been greatly improved. (I know many people don't like the autorouter, but if you don't create multilayer boards with high component density and very high clock frequencies: For us "hobbyists" it's more than enough - especially if you know what you're doing). But Eagle needs getting used to.
I chose it back then, and I'm sticking with it. Simply because it can do everything I need.

You cannot purchase Eagle. A basic subscription costs approximately $100 USD per year. Plus whatever portion of your soul you are selling to the 'cloud'.

Have not used Eagle for several years because its autorouter updates broke my DRC, and because ver 5 made KiCad usable and reliable, and because windoze was finally kicked to the curb at my house.

Professionally, prefer the Mentor stuff. Personally, prefer KiCad because it is easy to force it to do things my way by shoving a Python script into it.

As mentioned Eagle which is now part of Autocad: https://www.autodesk.com/products/eagle/free-download
Allows you to download for free, but there is a $100 per year subscription fee.

Again not sure what your goals are here. For your own Hobby use or to sell or how big of designs...
I know for example with for example Autocad Fusion 360, they do offer Hobbyist the ability to use as long as you don't sell... Not sure if they allow this with Eagle or not.
Actually they might: https://www.autodesk.com/products/eagle/compare But you are very limited on size of board you can make... Something like 3" by 4" (80cm square). Note even their 100 per year version is limited to 160cm square (like 4" by 6"), if you need bigger than that then it is something like $520 per year 8)

I have an older version Eagle 6.6 Light which is more limited I don't remember the restrictions, but I mainly use it to do things like read in other peoples designs/libraries and maybe then convert to Diptrace.

I like Diptrace, there are things that still don't know how to do well with it, but it is easy to use. If I had not purchased it awhile ago, I would probably go with KiCad...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back