L.E.D. Staff with ws2812

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawhin

I would like to work on an LED staff. I recently purchased a teensy 3.2 And I am working with six strips of 110 leds each- the strips are ws2812- I have tinkered a bit and I have no issues getting them powered on and even A test pattern going with the fast led library- But my biggest brick wall I am running into Is the coding part and bringing everything together.
I am wondering where I can find some help or if anyone is available to assist or provide guidance so that I can get to the final product?

My original motivation for this Was seeing a project on this site for an led staff But there doesn’t seem to be much out there in terms of getting from point A to point B. Appreciate any assistance And I have a link to the original idea below

https://www.pjrc.com/led-staff-with-1500-pixels/

thanks so much crees- I am giving this a try now to see what I can come up with-

one thing I am confused about is, how could I modify this to run on 6 led strips(using a data pin for each strip of 110 leds) So I would be using a total of 6 data pins

currently, trying to setup as is but I am seeing some issues with the button library and teensy 3.2

Arduino: 1.8.9 (Mac OS X), TD: 1.46, Board: "Teensy 3.2 / 3.1, Serial, 96 MHz (overclock), Faster, US English"

In file included from /Users/shawhin/Documents/Arduino/new-test/new-test.ino:8:0:
/private/var/folders/9d/djg9_8gx3_n84086hbv1fd9w0000gn/T/AppTranslocation/115824EC-6722-4BB4-8808-39629A8453EF/d/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/teensy/avr/libraries/FastLED/FastLED.h:17:21: note: #pragma message: FastLED version 3.001.008
# pragma message "FastLED version 3.001.008"
^
/Users/shawhin/Documents/Arduino/new-test/new-test.ino: In function 'void setup()':
/Users/shawhin/Documents/Arduino/new-test/new-test.ino:33:11: error: 'class Button' has no member named 'begin'
button1.begin();
^
/Users/shawhin/Documents/Arduino/new-test/new-test.ino:34:11: error: 'class Button' has no member named 'begin'
button2.begin();
^
/Users/shawhin/Documents/Arduino/new-test/new-test.ino: In function 'void readbutton()':
/Users/shawhin/Documents/Arduino/new-test/new-test.ino:186:17: error: 'class Button' has no member named 'released'
if (button1.released()){
^
/Users/shawhin/Documents/Arduino/new-test/new-test.ino:190:17: error: 'class Button' has no member named 'released'
if (button2.released()){
^
Error compiling for board Teensy 3.2 / 3.1.

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

Could this possibly be an issue with the 3.2 board and upgrading to a 3.6 might fix it? Or is this just that I’m using the wrong button library?

No I recall it’s a specific library. I don’t have that library on my laptop I am on now. But try a couple different ones to see if they satisfy the compile or modify the existing code to accommodate the button library you have.

As far as multiple strips look for the parallel functionality of fastLED.

I have tried a few different libraries for some reason I know this is probably really simple but I can’t get the right library- Would appreciate any help on this! Thanks So much for the direction thus far :)

Or is this just that I’m using the wrong button library?

Those errors in msg #4 sure look like using the wrong lib, or not including the correct .h file.

I have tried a few different libraries for some reason I know this is probably really simple but I can’t get the right library- Would appreciate any help on this!

I want to help you, but without seeing your code, it's impossible to say what's wrong or exactly what you should do to fix it. That's why we have the "Forum Rule" in red text. When you show us the complete code you're using, we can do so much more to help you. Don't be shy. Everyone starts as a beginner. We know this and we help every day on this forum, but there little we can do to help solve a specific problem when you keep us in the dark.

But I can at least point you to a working example. In Arduino, click File > Examples > Teensy > USB_Keyboard > Buttons. That example needs a specific setting in Tools > USB Type. It does compile and work, so if your code is trying to do the same thing (just a guess from what I can see in those errors), maybe that example will help?

for multiple strips, follow crees direction and instantiate fastled for each pin you want: https://github.com/FastLED/FastLED/wiki/Multiple-Controller-Examples

Code:
void setup() {
  FastLED.addLeds<NEOPIXEL, 4>(leds, NUM_LEDS_PER_STRIP);
  FastLED.addLeds<NEOPIXEL, 5>(leds, NUM_LEDS_PER_STRIP);
  FastLED.addLeds<NEOPIXEL, 6>(leds, NUM_LEDS_PER_STRIP);
  FastLED.addLeds<NEOPIXEL, 7>(leds, NUM_LEDS_PER_STRIP);
}

the above is where all strips are showing the same array, which is called leds

for each strip to show something different, that linked page shows you what to do (ie instead of all pointing to leds array, just add in the array you want in place of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back