Problem with Teensy 3.5 and Adafruit ATWINC1500 WiFi

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not seeing any WiFi networks. Is there any known incompatibility between Teensy 3.5 and the ATWINC1500? Is the standard Arduino WiFi101 library the right one to use?

Running the ScanNetworks example sketch (with the pins changed via WiFi.setPins to CS=19, EN=20, IRQ=21, RST=22), it reports the board's correct MAC address, but it doesn't see any of the WiFi networks.

I updated to the latest of everything: Arduino IDE 1.8.9, Teensyduino 1.46, and WINC1501 Model B firmware 19.6.1. I tried lowering the processor speed 72 Mhz; no change. The ATWINC1500 is being powered by the Teensy 3.3V output, but those are the only two parts on the breadboard.

Any ideas, or things to try?

Following a suggestion on the Adafruit forum, I tried a different processor board -- an Arduino MKR ZERO -- and got the same results. So it looks like something else is wrong, and it is probably unrelated to Teensy 3.5. Sorry for the noise.

I'm not seeing any WiFi networks. Is there any known incompatibility between Teensy 3.5 and the ATWINC1500? Is the standard Arduino WiFi101 library the right one to use?

Any ideas, or things to try?

I have an Adafruit ATWINC1500 that I used on T3.2 back in 2016. Arduino WiFi101 library is the correct library to use. I got out my ATWINC1500-MR210PB (firmware 19.4.4) today and wired it up to T3.5 and used WiFi.setPins(8,7,4) with ENable pin jumpered to 3v3. Breakout was powered from T3.5 3v3. Various examples seemed to work just fine (ScanNetworks, WiFiUdpNtpClient, etc.).

Can you attach a photo of WINC1500 wired to your T3.5? Maybe a problem with wiring or soldering? Though if you are getting a MAC address it would seem the wiring is OK?

My wiring must be right, because not only can I read the MAC address correctly, but I was also able to download new firmware to the chip. Except for the difference in pins, and the new version 19.6.1 firmware, I'm doing what you're doing. It's a puzzle. Thanks for trying and verifying that it *should* work. It's possible my board's radio or antenna is just bad.

The in-house guru at Adafruit, when I asked if I should switch to their AirLift ESP32 breakout board (#4201, $13) instead of the ATCWINC1500, said "yeah honestly we recommend the ESP32 airlift. works way better anyhow."

I like "works way better", so I'm switching to the ESP32. I should get one in a few days.

Just FYI, the AirLift ESP32 arrived, and it works like a champ with the Teensy 3.5 using essentially the same code that the ATWINC1500 failed on. I'm happy, and I can now control my standby power generator over the web. :)

Could you please tell me how you connected the airlift to the teensy? im running a 3.6 teensy and i cant even get the mac to show up.

Careful, sparkfun page says to use 5v to Vin, see https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-airlift-breakout/arduino
BUT T3.6 is NOT 5v tolerant. you will damage your T3.6 if you feed it 5v from the airlift pins! I hooked up an airlift to a T3.5 (which is 5v tolerant), using the pin assignments shown in the URL. Be sure to use the WiFiNINA zip file for the library. it consumes > 250 ma so make sure your power source has enough oomph. My airlift wouldn't work with 3.3v from T3.5. I had to use 5v. Try ScanNetworks example first

oh. so basically it s useless with my 3.6.

the sparkfun docs say it should run from 3.3 to 5v. So you need to find a separate 3.3v source (> 250 ma). The 3v3 from the T3.6 is only rated to 250ma. With separate power source, you'll need common ground.

i cant. for my project, i need it to run on teensies power alone. your reply makes a world of sense, but unfortunately i cant use batteries.. usb only.
should i get a 3.5 or a different module?

i cant. for my project, i need it to run on teensies power alone. your reply makes a world of sense, but unfortunately i cant use batteries.. usb only.
should i get a 3.5 or a different module?

unless you need the 180mhz or USB host services, i'd go with the more versatile T3.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back