Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!

Thread: Debugger Depression

Debugger Depression

This is not a rant, and I hope that Paul will consider one developer's perspective.

I've bought maybe 75 Teensy3.2's from Oshpark, and use them to control my machines. I like the Teensy because the voltage tolerance, footprint flexibility, and compatibility with the Arduino libraries. However, the one major problem that I keep searching an answer for is the lack of a debugger. No, modifying the board is not an option.

Up to this point, I've used it for my own products, but I'm now getting work from another company that is also using the Teensy, and I am having a very difficult time working through the system without a debugger. Their system uses four Teensies in one machine. They are early enough in the development cycle that switching to a different Platformio supported chip won't be too difficult.

If Paul is like me, he's spending days and nights on his business. It's difficult deciding how to apply limited resources. This post is more informational than anything else. Instead of just disappearing, I thought it would be better to at least make my reasons known.

Quote Originally Posted by brianmichalk View Post
    This is not a rant, and I hope that Paul will consider one developer's perspective.

I've bought maybe 75 Teensy3.2's from Oshpark, and use them to control my machines. I like the Teensy because the voltage tolerance, footprint flexibility, and compatibility with the Arduino libraries. However, the one major problem that I keep searching an answer for is the lack of a debugger. No, modifying the board is not an option.

Up to this point, I've used it for my own products, but I'm now getting work from another company that is also using the Teensy, and I am having a very difficult time working through the system without a debugger. Their system uses four Teensies in one machine. They are early enough in the development cycle that switching to a different Platformio supported chip won't be too difficult.

If Paul is like me, he's spending days and nights on his business. It's difficult deciding how to apply limited resources. This post is more informational than anything else. Instead of just disappearing, I thought it would be better to at least make my reasons known.
    is there a debugging option for normal arduino boards ?

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget999 View Post
    is there a debugging option for normal arduino boards ?
    There is for at least some of them. I used to use a hardware debugger with some of the older AVR boards, using an ICE (search for AVR JTAG ICE)

Which connects up to the programmer connector of the boards and allowed you to do some source level debugging. Also was able to do some of this with some of the STM boards as well.

Been awhile since I played around with this.

I believe there are software options for debugging as well. Example Microsoft Studio:
    https://devblogs.microsoft.com/iotde...l-studio-code/

I believe VisualGDB also supports some Arduino boards: https://visualgdb.com/

I'm using a Segger JTag Edu and just ordered a JTag-Mini (for ~$20). This works great for Teensy debugging especially with vscode which has a supporting extension (Cortex-Debug) . However, you currently need to manipulate the board - which is not an option for the OP but might be OK for others.

Adapting a T3.6 / T3.5 is surprisingly simple and can be done in a few minutes if you have some soldering experience. https://hackaday.com/2017/05/01/addi...teensy-3-53-6/

Now, that the Teensy 4.0 is out:
    What about HW-Debugging on this fantastic device?