Surface Mount Female Headers for Use with Teensy 3.5 w/ Pins on a PCB

Status
Not open for further replies.

madgrizzle

I'm trying to design a board (motor controller) around a Teensy 3.5 w/ Pins that I already have. I'm looking at using a service to build the prototype for me and I want to use female headers for the Teensy to be installed into so I can repurpose the Teensy later (or replace it if I fry it). My initial design was all through-hole but the labor cost to assemble it is way too much. The through-hole headers (two 24-pin single row headers) adds about $30 in labor alone and I'm thinking maybe I can get the price more reasonable if I switch to surface mount technology. I can find surface mount parts for everything but the headers. Can someone recommend a surface mount part that can be put in a reflow oven that I can use to plug the teensy into?

Oh geez, really? But you still have to find a part that is within the supply chain of your China fab. Bazillions and bazillions of this stuff. SMT headers tend to lower mechanical limits for failure when compared to equivalent through-hole stuff. And have had better reliability using non-RoHS solder for connectors.

Thanks for the info.. I had dug through mouser and digikey looking for such a beast before posting here and practically all are non-stock items.. to your point of being in the supply chain. I don't do this stuff (pcb designs and production) on a regular basis so I just don't know the answers. If the answer is that smd headers are something that's just not used, that's fine. I can do it through-hole by hand if need be.

any desire in printing your own board?
If I could get it down to a two layer board, I have would try to etch it or maybe milk it.. but I haven't figured out the routing to make it work and 4 layer solves that problem.. but I'm going to take a hard look at it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back