Confused by Sparkfun ('new' Teensy Audio Board)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelMeissner

Senior Member+
I was browsing Sparkfun's new products for August 2nd, 2019:

And they mention a 'new' version of the Teensy audio board. Granted the audio board did go to version 2 in January 2015, but that was 4 1/2 years ago. Is what Sparkfun is selling just the version 2 audio board, or did they jump the gun on a new version 3 audio board? :confused:

I was browsing Sparkfun's new products for August 2nd, 2019:

And they mention a 'new' version of the Teensy audio board. Granted the audio board did go to version 2 in January 2015, but that was 4 1/2 years ago. Is what Sparkfun is selling just the version 2 audio board, or did they jump the gun on a new version 3 audio board? :confused:

The audio adapters that Paul shipped with the T4B2 breakouts are identified as Rev B while the Spackfun images show Rev C? Agree confusing. If you follow the link to previous version its the Rev B that we have.

The audio adapters that Paul shipped with the T4B2 breakouts are identified as Rev B while the Spackfun images show Rev C? Agree confusing. If you follow the link to previous version its the Rev B that we have.

Yes, I see the rev C on the Sparkfun board now. And the rev B boards I got with T4B1/T4B2 look like the v2 board I purchased much earlier. Of course the V2/B boards are different from the original V1 boards.

Comparing the V1/V2 boards, I see 3 solder jumpers:
  • Between Teensy pin 13 and RX on the SGTL5000;
  • Between Teensy pin 22/A8 and TX on the SGTL5000; and
  • Between Teensy pin 15/A1 and ADDR on the SGTL5000.

Now the picture of the Sparkfun board looks to be the same as the rev B board, except for the two unnamed pads between the two mounting holes on the outside and line in/line out in the middle. These two pads now have a circle around the pad.

And it doesn't help that the picture on the PJRC site is of the version 1 board and doesn't have the 3 solder jumpers of the version 2 board, but they are in the schematic.

In looking through my boards, I see I have two version 1 boards, one with the now normal green PCB, and the other in the original black PCB.

I have to imagine that when the T4 is officially announced, that there will be some solution to the T4 not having the alternate SPI pins and the I2S pins being moved to new locations, but there don't seem to be new solder pads on the image at the Sparkfun site. One solution might be the nice little board that came out with the T4B{1,2} boards. But perhaps there will be a new audio card that can switch between the two.

Oh, yup, I still need to update our page about rev C.

Really, rev C just adds a 100 ohm resistor in series with MCLK. That's it. Everything else is the same.

I saw that as 'The Golden Audio' in email from SparkFun - but didn't click and it didn't say 'new'. Is there any chance that adds the resistor on the MCLK line?

Paul made some note about that - in addition to T4 needing it - maybe that is why he 'dumped' all those old Rev B Audio boards on beta users :) :)

… cross post shows MCLK was it ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back