Teensy 4.0 Release

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 1060 was first rev of 1062 - so 1060 is the same device as 1062. 1064 AFAIK is the same with the exception of added inbuilt FLASH, but ref docs should all be 1062 or 1060. Paul should have them on PJRC.com with other RM's soon if not now

I just ordered my 4.0! I'm very excited. You can't beat this for price and performance. Your move, Arduino.

I built an 80186 PC emulator with the 3.6, and what was holding back the performance was not the clock speed, but the fact that RAM was limited and I had to implement SPI SRAM access for a full 640 KB. If I limited to available native RAM, it was very fast, but not enough memory was there for the most interesting DOS programs like games.

With 1 MB in the 4.0 AND a much higher clock speed plus going from an M4 to an M7, this thing is going to absolutely scream! Can't wait to start tinkering with this one.

Thanks, Paul! You just blew away the rest of the market.

Last edited:
I was wondering: do we really need a Teensy that's 300 times (!) faster than the original? You could run a complete Linux kernel on this, providing it has sufficient RAM and Flash.

Tsk tsk. Need is such a needy word.

Need it buy it store it, right along with all the other stuff no one needs.

Use one, buy two replacements, right? Doesn’t everyone?

Uhm ...Right?

Very Cool Stuff. Is there a specific data sheet for the 1062, or is the 1060 or 1064 the same except for flash size? Any thoughts on making an extended version with more of the peripherals broken out? Ethernet, LCD drive, camera etc?

I imagine for the immediate future Paul, Robin, and any others at PJRC need to take a breather, and celebrate a job well done. But I dimly recall that Paul did speculate about having a larger T4 with more pins.

The 1060 was first rev of 1062 - so 1060 is the same device as 1062. 1064 AFAIK is the same with the exception of added inbuilt FLASH, but ref docs should all be 1062 or 1060. Paul should have them on PJRC.com with other RM's soon if not now

Unfortunately to get the document from NXP, you have to give them an email address (and answer some questions as to what role you are using the i.MXRT1060 processor). So I suspect Paul can't put the document on PJRC.COM. From the beta thread, the address to get the document is:

I was wondering: do we really need a Teensy that's 300 times (!) faster than the original? You could run a complete Linux kernel on this, providing it has sufficient RAM and Flash.

Well it is only 330 times faster if you are measuring against the Arduino Mega (and presumably Uno). If you figure that the Teensy 3.0 is the 'original' Teensy to compare it against, it is only 10 times faster for integer code (roughly, Paul didn't list the Teensy 3.0, but as I recall it runs the same clock rate as the Teensy 3.1/3.2). Now for floating point code, it is much, much faster.

There are things that need as much floating point speed as they can get (gps processing, advanced audio processing, etc.).

Well it is only 330 times faster if you are measuring against the Arduino Mega (and presumably Uno). If you figure that the Teensy 3.0 is the 'original' Teensy to compare it against, it is only 10 times faster for integer code (roughly, Paul didn't list the Teensy 3.0, but as I recall it runs the same clock rate as the Teensy 3.1/3.2). Now for floating point code, it is much, much faster.

There are things that need as much floating point speed as they can get (gps processing, advanced audio processing, etc.).

Why do you think the Teensy 3.0 is the original teensy? It is obviously the third generation of Teensy :p
But to go further on your point there are many cases where high speed is absolutely needed. For example with object recognition and other AI workloads.
It would be fun to see how it performs on AI tasks compared to the kendryte k210.

FWIW, Teensy 3.1 & 3.2 are significantly faster than Teensy 3.0 was, even at the same clock speed. The wide path to flash and better cache in the flash controller makes a pretty substantial difference.

Likewise, Teensy 3.6 usually performs about 80% to 90% faster than Teensy 3.5, even though the clock speed is only 50% faster. The memory system makes a huge difference.

FWIW, Teensy 3.1 & 3.2 are significantly faster than Teensy 3.0 was, even at the same clock speed. The wide path to flash and better cache in the flash controller makes a pretty substantial difference.

Likewise, Teensy 3.6 usually performs about 80% to 90% faster than Teensy 3.5, even though the clock speed is only 50% faster. The memory system makes a huge difference.

Yeah, tell me about it, all sorts of things matter in terms of benchmarking. :D:D:D Yeah, I could have expanded more, but I didn't really have the data other than what was on the teensy 4 page.

We have had spec benchmarks in the past that can vary by about 10% depending on where the critical loop is aligned (i.e. change some code elsewhere, and it can speed up or slow down the benchmark). Others that until we started being real careful about locking down certain OS options, the exact same binary would have a slew of a couple of percent differences when you did multiple runs.

It would be nice if some version of Python would pop up for it. I have seen there is a version for 3.2 etc. I’m guessing the new boot loader chip nixes that possibility. Btw extra LED and reset option is A+.

T4 Audio board bodges

I've read that the existing audio board won't work as is on the T4. I checked the on line schematic for the AB and it didn't show the mentioned 100 ohm resistor on MCLK. Is that a series resistor between the Teensy and the board? Also can someone describe the required wiring between the boards? I'd like to use the T4 in an SDR project.
Also will the audio lib support the UDA1334A i2s headphone amp (https://www.adafruit.com/product/3678)? Porting Rockbox to T4 is another project idea in my head.

So far, but my guess is Paul will soon release a non-beta version. There were a few minor things that probably needed to be addressed from the last beta, so hopefully very soon.

I've read that the existing audio board won't work as is on the T4. I checked the on line schematic for the AB and it didn't show the mentioned 100 ohm resistor on MCLK. Is that a series resistor between the Teensy and the board? Also can someone describe the required wiring between the boards? I'd like to use the T4 in an SDR project.
Also will the audio lib support the UDA1334A i2s headphone amp (https://www.adafruit.com/product/3678)? Porting Rockbox to T4 is another project idea in my head.

That is correct - there are moved pins for needed function and that 100 Ohm resistor goes inline with the MCLK signal.

Last edited:
I can't wait to get my hands on Teensy 4.0, 600MHz 2048K Flash (64K recovery and EEPROM) and 1024K RAM (512K tightly coupled). :D
Time has come for well deserved thank you to Paul, Robin and the beta team. :)

I have a google spreadsheet that I try to keep the pin assignments between the various Teensy 3.x/LC/4.0 processors. I believe I have the updates in place for 4.0:

Maybe I don't know how to read it, but it does not appear to list/track the FlexTimer Module pins?

https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_libs_PulsePosition.html

I am trying to figure out what the future of PulsePosition input capture would be on T4 (and maybe on a larger T4.x down the road), mapping to the new Quad Timer QTIMER, and I can't even figure out how many T4 pins are actually QTIMER-capable.

See my attempt to find references in the existing T4 threads here. I'd appreciate any clarification/references.

https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/57127-Teensy-4-FTM-input-capature-capabilities

Unfortunately to get the document from NXP, you have to give them an email address (and answer some questions as to what role you are using the i.MXRT1060 processor). So I suspect Paul can't put the document on PJRC.COM. From the beta thread, the address to get the document is:

Quite right @MMeissner - that doc is still behind password entry and the link there has this name :: i.MX RT1060 Processor Reference Manual

So a shareable copy may be some time away … ?

Not terribly surprising there seems to be a rush on getting Teensy 4.0's.

Yesterday, I noticed that Adafruit had them, and I debated ordering immediately, but I waited until the evening to order mine. Yesterday, they didn't mention the amount in stock (they don't list the stock level until the stock level drops below 100). As I'm posting (Thursday August 8th, 7:45pm EST), they are now down to 64 Teensy 4.0's. By 8:00pm, it was down to 57.

Right now, Sparkfun has 163 T4's. I didn't think to check the stock level yesterday. Sparkfun does limit orders to 5/person.

When I checked it, PJRC still had stock, but now they list it as low availability.

Digikey don't yet show it. I've noticed it is usually a few weeks after Adafruit or Sparkfun announces something that it shows up in stock (and both Sparkfun and Adafruit provides different Teensys that Digikey resells). I don't normally use Mouser but from the other Teensys they have, it looks like Digikey where they buy them from Adafruit or Sparkfun, so I imagine there will be some time before they have it.

I haven't seen it on Amazon or Ebay yet. But like with Digikey and Mouser, I would expect them to get the primary supply from Adafruit and/or Sparkfun.

I also checked Microcenter, and they haven't seen it yet, but Microcenter has not really been reliable in stocking Teensys.

I tend to order from Adafruit, since as a NY company, it gets to me quicker, particularly if I order it after 8:00pm on Wednesdays and use the 10% off code in Ask an Engineer, it almost always gets to me on Friday morning (I live in Massachusetts). If I don't use the code, it usually takes another day or two to process the order.

Right now, Sparkfun has 163 T4's. I didn't think to check the stock level yesterday. Sparkfun does limit orders to 5/person.

First check yesterday after email they were no show on AdaF and SFun - as noted no count on AdaF - but then SparkFun showed " 250+ " - at first then 242 and :: 213 items in stock and dropping at 2:08 AM - 15 hours ago to 163 now.

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

Is there a way of getting these in Europe?

Other than buying from America that is.

Cheers

Andy

Hi Guys,

Is there a way of getting these in Europe?

Other than buying from America that is.

Cheers

Andy

Earlier in the thread, PaulS mentioned that Teensy 4's were mailed to some non-USA distributors. So I imagine you need to wait for the distributors to get their stock and have it clear customs:

<edit>
The list of official distributors is at:

And it looks like Antratek.de has stock (at least when I wrote this article):

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back