Teensy 4.0 Release

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there anywhere to purchase Teensy 4 breakout boards (ready made or kits) yet? I would really like the safety blanket
of not doing any permanent damage to the original board!

I've seen threads mentioning boards used for the beta testers and later ones possibly "in the pipeline" but nothing concrete yet

I suspect it is too early for any of the boards being designed to be available yet. There are some boards that you can send the gerber files to a PCB printer (like OSH park in the USA) and it will print up the board, and then you solder the components to that board:

And it probably depends on what you need. Do you need access to the 18 pads underneath the Teensy (10 of the pins are easier since they use the 0.1" / 2.54mm standard spacing, while the other 8 pins are harder at 1mm), or is access to the top 28 pins sufficient? If the top 28 pins are sufficient you can use a standard prototype board with female headers soldered to it, or possibly a board for the Teensy 3.2 (but note there are some pin changes, and you would not have access to the bottom pins). Or just solder in male pins, and use a standard breadboard with jumper wires.

Daniel Gilbert (Talldog @ tindie, loglow in this forum) has publicly said he is making a breakout board, but it is still in the early days yet. His shop at tindie.com would be the place to buy the boards when they become available:

Note, Daniel has options for the 3.2/3.5/3.6 where he will buy a Teensy whatever, and solder all of the connections for you. That can be rather expensive, but if you are solder challenged it might be a useful option. For example, Daniel's plain board for the 3.2 where you solder in in the connections is $12 US, but if you wanted the Teensy 3.2 soldered directly to the board, it would be $52 US, and $69 US if you wanted the Teensy socketed so you could remove it. This does not cover shipping or VAT.

You will need to solder the pins on the Teensy 4.0, as there currently is no option to buy the Teensy 4.0 with pins soldered on. I imagine some time in the future, Paul may offer the option to solder in the pins, but right now there isn't an option.

For just access to the 28 pins, these boards might be useful:

For normal prototype boards, I kind of like the prototype boards from Azzy's Electronics. This mint tin board in particular allows me to add two rows of female headers for the 3.2/3.5/3.6/4.0/LC, and then use the extra space to wire specific breakouts with the pins grouped together logically:

This board is just the right size for a Teensy 3.2 or 4.0:

Depending on your needs these can be useful:

Last edited:
And I a third batch too. If I remember correctly the 2nd was mostly accounted for by sales and distributer commitments.

Found in post 137 in the 4.0 released thread by Paul:
”... The 3rd batch which is scheduled for early September. ...”

If you want a Teensy 4.0 from the 2nd batch, either get your order in to PJRC very soon, or watch for Sparkfun, Adafruit & others (in Europe) to have stock later this week. There's a chance the PJRC page may say "in stock" for a short time Monday to Tuesday before we run out of the 2nd batch. Robin looking at the inventory right now to see how many we have left over (if any) after we ship to distributors tomorrow.

A third batch is indeed scheduled for early September. That 3rd batch is about the size of these first 2 batches combined. I'm pretty sure that will be enough to get past this frustrating time of shortages.

It's a good problem to have, shows how good of a job you did giving both value for your money with unmatched speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back