Teensy 4.0 Release

Status
Not open for further replies.
Processor Details says:

Teensyduino automatically allocates your Arduino sketch code into ITCM and all non-malloc memory use to the fast DTCM, unless you add extra keywords to override the optimized default.

Does this mean our sketches are limited in size to what will fit in ITCM rather than the 2M FLASH? And where are these "extra keywords" documented?

I dropped everything and ordered three of them when I got the email from Kickstarter saying BUY NOW!!!! Server struggling? It's dilithium crystals must have melted if everybody got that email at the same time (about 10:30 EST). I couldn't even open the PJRC home page for several minutes, and then I was quite surprised that they were far cheaper than I had thought. I got a tracking number from Robin early afternoon and they should be here by Saturday.

Has anybody tried hooking one of these (or the beta boards) to the OSH park CS42448 board yet? If not, then I'm going to try.

Processor Details says:

Teensyduino automatically allocates your Arduino sketch code into ITCM and all non-malloc memory use to the fast DTCM, unless you add extra keywords to override the optimized default.

Does this mean our sketches are limited in size to what will fit in ITCM rather than the 2M FLASH? And where are these "extra keywords" documented?

To have Code/Data reside on FLASH use : PROGMEM

Does this mean our sketches are limited in size to what will fit in ITCM rather than the 2M FLASH?

With the default linker script we're using so far, yes, unless you use the keywords to force code into only the flash.

If this becomes a serious problem, we'll probably provide an alternate linker script. Not sure how we'll offer than from a UI perspective. The day is still young....

And where are these "extra keywords" documented?

Does mentioned on this forum count at documentation?

To force a function or array into flash only, use PROGMEM.

To force code into TCM (which is currently the default), use FASTRUN. When/if that alternate linker script is published (or if you hack one yourself), you'll want to have FASTRUN on your interrupts and other speed sensitive code.

Might also be worth mentioning these do nothing on code that is inline optimized. Then the attributes of the function where the code is inlined takes precedence.

Thanks!

Does mentioned on this forum count at documentation?

Hmmm... Awful hard to uncover details in 4k posts, especially if you don't know what keyword to look for. There are a lot of new features and concepts in the M7, it's going to take a while to get familiar with it.

I was wondering: do we really need a Teensy that's 300 times (!) faster than the original? You could run a complete Linux kernel on this, providing it has sufficient RAM and Flash.

It´s alive!!!!

Congratulations for the hard work!.

One question: Which microSD socket do you recommend to use?

Any link?

This post mentions accessing the microSD pins:

The beta2 board had a flex cable socket soldered in and a flex cable connector (presumably HFW8R-1STE1LF) soldered in.

Unfortunately, it looks like the HFW8R-1STE1LF is at the end of life. Digikey no longer stocks it, and Mouser only has 255 on hand.

Congratulations - I’m really excited about this! Will it be shipping to your worldwide distributors soon (UK in particular)?

I was wondering: do we really need a Teensy that's 300 times (!) faster than the original? You could run a complete Linux kernel on this, providing it has sufficient RAM and Flash.

Explain to me again the meaning of this word 'need'...

My ShapeOKO CNC router is controlled by an Arduino UNO running GRBL. That is 32KB of very, very tightly packed code. There's literally NO room left. It can do 30.000 steps/second and control 3 axis.
With a Teensy, it would be possible to add a 4th, 5th or even a 6th axis, tool width compensation, backlash compensation, a LCD and buttons for jogging and start/stop, program selection, macros... and even let it cut at higher speeds...
(30K steps may sound much, but we're running 16microsteps x 400step/rev motors. A theoretical top speed of 750mm/second... )

Not that GRBL will have an official Teensy port capable of taking advantage of the extra power, though.
(Not without a driver shield, at least)

My Resin 3D printer(Kudo3D Bean) have both an Arduino(used to lift and lower the printing platform only) and a Raspberry Pi to control the LCD and handle the web interface.
There's no reason why a Teensy 4.0 shouldn't be able to do the job of both of those.
(If a Parallax Propeller chip can run a web server, google 'Parallax spinneret' sadly discontinued, why shouldn't the Teensy be able to do it?)
Even an ESP8266 can act as a simple web server these days.

Make a faster controller, and someone will find a use for it.

Will it be shipping to your worldwide distributors soon (UK in particular)?

Yes. In fact, it already has. We sent Teensy 4.0 inventory to several distrubutors on Monday & Tuesday. That's why Adafruit, Sparkfun and (maybe) others had it in stock today. As I recall, there were a several packages that went to non-US distributors. So you should start seeing it appear in Europe pretty soon.

Looks like Pimoroni already has a page.

https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/teensy-4-0-development-board

I don't see anything yet at http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk, but they are the other UK company that I believe should get it soon.

Maybe Robin will notice this thread and give us better info....

What I'm thinking of, is a controller for 3D printers using a carrier board with TMC2208 support, and proper isolation between motor ground and logic ground, using e.g. Si86xx isolators. (Lack of isolation really bugs me with current carriers.)

Teensy 4.0 is beefy enough to handle cubic curve interpolation, and has enough memory for a proper path planner. I don't think any slicers support cubic/Bézier curves yet, but when they do, I bet it'll make a nice difference in curved surfaces.

I'm waiting for Mandu to get some in stock; shipping and customs is too much hassle for me :)

Congratulations to you new masterpiece, Paul! I hope it will be available in germany soon ... (EXP-TECH or Watterott I presume ...) Due to my daily professional work I switched to Mongoose OS and ESP32, but maybe I will be able to use the Teensy as a core controller for an APA102 LED project, which I then will be controlled via ESP32 under Mongoose OS. Are there any other frameworks that I can use to program the Teensy? Because the word "Arduino" is a no-go for professional customers ...

Excellent! We do a lot of one-off prototyping and random digital component testing around here and the Teensy 3.1, 3.2, and 3.6 have been heavily used for these purposes. I am really looking forward to getting our 4's delivered. Question -- will I be able to do byte-sized GPIO operations with a single command like I could on the 3's using the native microcontroller functions? It was great being able to do that and optimize for speed (including inline ASM) while still working in the simple Arduino IDE. It looks like there is not a full byte-aligned set of GPIO from the same port available on this device, but maybe there's another way to make it work with some clever masking? Thanks!

TEENSY 4 - CMSIS-NN(Neural Network)

Out of curiosity I wanted to see the performance of using the ARM-CMSIS-NN (Neural Network) library versus the Teensy 3.6. For those of you who don't know one of the examples is a image classifier using the CIFAR-10 dataset. Hacking up the example to display on a ILI9341 (240x320 display) the performance is:
Code:
T4 - 71 milliseconds
T3.6 - 446 milliseconds @180Mhz

Here are a couple screen shots. The image is only 32x32:
Teensy 4.0
T4.jpg

Teensy 3.6
T3.6.jpg

This is just a demo of the possibilities with the Teensy 4.0

Very Cool Stuff. Is there a specific data sheet for the 1062, or is the 1060 or 1064 the same except for flash size? Any thoughts on making an extended version with more of the peripherals broken out? Ethernet, LCD drive, camera etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back