Teensy 4.0 Release

Status
Not open for further replies.
@rmd6502

While not really not published anywhere except in the beta thread there is delayNanoseconds(x) that has been added to the core. You implement it the same way you would delayMicroseconds :)

no teensy joy yet, I guess I should have done shipping with tracking, I didnt even get a shipping email. so no idea. I did get charged for it though.

It looks like your shipping confirmation email, with a tracking number, went out this morning. :) If you can't find the email (sometimes they can get caught up in spam filters), just send me email with your 6-digit order number and I'll re-send it to you.

@rmd6502

While not really not published anywhere except in the beta thread there is delayNanoseconds(x) that has been added to the core. You implement it the same way you would delayMicroseconds :)

Not published - is it installed right there with EVERY copy of TeensyDuino :) I saw it again the other day ... inspiring th e following ...

Just got my t4, was wondering if there were plans (and the hardware supports it) to add a nanos() function, and nanoseconds to intervalTimer()?

1 us intervalTimer is 1M interrupts/sec - much more than that would flood/impair even the T4. A T4 loop() can be called over 20 M times/sec - can quickly drop to 10 or 6 or 1 Million depending on the code

Also posted on the Beta thread is a delayCycles( x ) - with a PULL request if it seems interesting enough to include :: https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/54711-Teensy-4-0-First-Beta-Test?p=212280&viewfull=1#post212280

That is a delay for 'x' processor cycles - output there shows min return time is in 7 cycles up to x=14 - then it jumps to 17 when x=15 requested from there up to x=24 requested - then under 30 is seems to come back at 'x' +/- 2 cycles.

It looks like your shipping confirmation email, with a tracking number, went out this morning. :) If you can't find the email (sometimes they can get caught up in spam filters), just send me email with your 6-digit order number and I'll re-send it to you.

yup got it, thanks robin!

I'm in the process of reviving an old 3D Deltaprinter(DreamMaker Overlord Pro, dfrobot still sells them), and because it had one or more bad stepper drivers(and they don't use stock Polulus) I'm replacing the electronics.

Out goes the old Arduino Mega2560 clone board with 16x microstepping, in goes an Azteeg X5 GT with 120MHz ARM and 128x microstepping drivers.
That board, without drivers cost $110.

I can't imagine that a T4 with a driver shield would do any worse... In fact, it would probably do a lot better.
Probably on the same scale as the 'coming soon' Smoothieboard 2.0, just cheaper...

It's annoying to buy controllers that are so expensive but can't surpass a T3.6 in power...

My Kudo3D Bean resin printer has both a Raspberry Pi and an Arduino(the Arduino only controls a single stepper... )

My WanHao i3 also have some sort of Arduino Mega2560 clone in it.

Would it be that difficult to put together a shield to drive 4 or 5 steppers, a couple of heaters and fans, and read a few sensors?
(I expect that porting Marlin to Teensy shouldn't be all that difficult?)

Printer manufacturers may not be interested in the Teensy, but there's a whole load of tinkerers that just might want one in their printers...

Would it be that difficult to put together a shield to drive 4 or 5 steppers, a couple of heaters and fans, and read a few sensors?

Please start a new thread about this. I'd like to see it happen....

Gadgetman! said:

Marlin is the world's most popular open source firmware for Replicating Rapid Prototyper (RepRap) machines, commonly referred to as "3D printers." Marlin Firmware is highly efficient, running even on modest 16MHz embedded AVR processors. While Marlin 1.1 only supports ATmega AVR (Arduino, etc.) and AT90USB (Teensy++ 2.0), Marlin 2.0 also adds support for several ARM processors, including the SAM3X8E (Arduino Due), NXP LPC1768/LPC1769 ARM Cortex-M3 (Re-Arm, MKS SBASE, Smoothieboard), and ARM Cortex-M4 (Teensy 3.5/3.6, STM32F1/4/7).
https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin

I have no idea where to even start building the electronics, so this was more a 'here's an idea for any of you guys with more free time than me'.
And without a board, there's not much reason to port Marlin or other Printer Firmware.

Yesterday we started testing & packaging Teensy 4.0 from the 2nd production batch. Some of the backorders (from last week) shipped yesterday and many more will ship today. We'll probably get caught up by Monday.

There's a good chance most of the rest of the 2nd batch will go to distributors. If you didn't place an order before we ran out of the 1st batch, and you're waiting for the website to say "in stock".... well, you may end up missing the 2nd batch. Even though the website says we're out of stock, I can confirm we are working with the 2nd batch boards now. If you place an order today it very likely will ship from the 2nd batch sometime early next week.

We're not going to put "in stock" back on the website until we've cleared all the backlog and know how many (if any) will be left over after shipping stock to distributors.

The 3rd batch which is scheduled for early September.

Are there plans to provide a SKU for the Teensy 4 with header pins already soldered on, like the older products, such as "Teensy 3.2/pins"? If so, any estimated schedule for these? I can solder conventional (aka larger) circuit boards okay, but soldering to these tiny boards is more than I want to mess with. Otherwise, I would have already purchased the new Teensy 4. Can't wait to try it out.

Soldering these pins yourself is EASY.
Grab some pins, plug them into a breadboard you don't care too much about, drop Teensy on top, grab your iron and solder...

and got my teensy :) works a treat! :)

Soldering these pins yourself is EASY.
Grab some pins, plug them into a breadboard you don't care too much about, drop Teensy on top, grab your iron and solder...

Soldering those top pins on Teensy 4 is easier and a bit less scary than others where parts are closer to the through holes.

Take a look at the CARD or Teensy 4 images and you'll see a wide band with silkscreen - and with the T4's smaller BGA MCU - fewer exposed connect points to bridge or splatter solder onto with some half of the needed components on the bottom side.

As noted just put the pins into a breadboard - or even a bare proto PCB held up - set the Teensy on them properly and go at your own rate.

Paul just posted that new batch #2 is already mostly committed and batch #3 is arriving 'in September' - even if those don't end up sold on backorder or committed to distributors - any portion set up to have pins soldered could easily sell out.

For Windows users that like COMMAND LINE execution outside of the IDE [including your IDE of choice if it can exec batch files to build] { the IDE and TeensyDuino 1.47 must be normally installed as it is just a batch file that runs the Arduino Builder and uploads with TyCommander - Thanks to Frank B! }

I just updated github.com/Defragster/Tset where hopefully are usable files and docs showing how I got SubLimeText editor to run a batch file I find very useful to edit sketches and use TyCommander to upload to Teensy - now including Teensy 4.0 as noted.

TyCommander from @koromix is still marked BETA and needs an ENV var to allow upload per that github.

Notes on Tset show the edits needed for 'your' system paths for installed tools and such. Anything missing make an Issue of it please.

Soldering those top pins on Teensy 4 is easier and a bit less scary than others where parts are closer to the through holes.

Take a look at the CARD or Teensy 4 images and you'll see a wide band with silkscreen - and with the T4's smaller BGA MCU - fewer exposed connect points to bridge or splatter solder onto with some half of the needed components on the bottom side.

As noted just put the pins into a breadboard - or even a bare proto PCB held up - set the Teensy on them properly and go at your own rate.

Paul just posted that new batch #2 is already mostly committed and batch #3 is arriving 'in September' - even if those don't end up sold on backorder or committed to distributors - any portion set up to have pins soldered could easily sell out.

I hadn't really looked that closely at the Teensy 4 image, and yes, I see the components on the board are a lot further away from the through holes than they were on previous teensy's, so I went ahead and put in an order. Thanks for the tip!

I hadn't really looked that closely at the Teensy 4 image, and yes, I see the components on the board are a lot further away from the through holes than they were on previous teensy's, so I went ahead and put in an order. Thanks for the tip!

Glad to point that out … and Yes, that added clearance top and bottom to edge pins gives great silkscreen to help with orientation as the Teensy flips and rotates, or just finding a pin - for those of us that don't do that often enough :) - and indeed that also gives better clearance for soldering. One more noteworthy part of the Teensy 4 design Paul has presented!

The bottom pads {25,27,31,33} have those tiny components necessarily placed a bit close to feed the BGA MCU that will be a bit more problematic … but that is just something to be aware of when using flux/solder/heat by them.

I'm excited, got my T4 today. But I'm also not seeing the Teensy 4.0 board (only up to 3.6). Do I need to download something to update my Arduino program?

Thanks Pete, but on that page I only see documentation and links for installing 1.46 which I'm already running. I do have a port option of Teensy 4-Beta2, does that selection make it work if I don't have the option of picking the T4 board?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back