Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Teensy 4.0 Release

Hybrid View

Teensy 4.0 Release

Congratulations on releasing Teensy 4.0. I just got my shipping confirmation and am very excited!

Where and when can we expect technical information and software to be posted for the released product?

(I see the ~4000 post beta thread so maybe this new thread will be a good place post schematics, release notes, etc...)

Just ordered 2 a bit ago. For some reason the product page showed two front views of the Welcome to Teensy 4.0 pages when I looked earlier
    Last edited by DaQue; 08-07-2019 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Forgot someting

Quote Originally Posted by DaQue View Post
    For some reason the product page showed two front views of the Welcome to Teensy 4.0 pages when I looked earlier
    Opps, that was a mistake on my part. Fixed it.

Our server was struggling to keep up with the load. So I copied the product page's 4 images to this forum's server. But I made a copy-paste error along the way editing the html.

No worries, I knew it was something simple and thought you would like to know.

I just noticed the updated back side graphic, i guess there is no more external AREF? is there a way to get the same sort of performance from the ADCs with potentiometers across a 3 or 3.3v supply?

I just ordered 4, i have been looking forward to this! quick question, the teensy 4 page shows the top side pins in both pictures instead of the usual top and bottom, I just want to confirm that the extra pin next to the ground at the top right is the aref.

Thanks for all your hard work Paul and the beta testers and library authors.

More or less the same questions as the others..
    Yay Paul for the work on the 4.0.. My current project was going to migrate to a linux board as I was out of clock cycles and optimizing tricks. Now I don't think I will have to. THANK YOU THANK YOU!

I just ordered 2, and I am wondering where/ when the schematic might be posted; I am doing some capture byte wide data and it is always easier to find pins on the same port than to shuffle bits after.

Another project uses the internal counters of a 3.6 for quadrature encoder counting; does the 4.0 have that in hardware, or will I be staying with the 3.6/3.5 for that?

Again,
    Many thanks Paul and beta testers for your hard work. I really appreciate having something this fast to play with.

Luc

I learned about the Teensy after the 3.2 was released and I loved the hardware, platform, and community. So when the 3.5/3.6 Kickstarter happened I jumped on it and I was thrilled with how PJRC managed it and delivered early - very uncommon for Kickstarters in my experience. But I have to say this is even better. I found out about the 4.0 launch this morning (after some level of following beta testing since it started and much anticipation ever since it was first announced) and I ordered immediately. My order has shipped the same day. PJRC once again sets the bar in the world of hobbyist mcu boards/platforms. Thanks again Paul and the rest of PJRC and all the testers! I honestly have no idea what I'm going to do with my new board first, but I'm excited to figure it out lol.

Quick dumb question, I see the blurb says it has two USB high speed ports, does it support a USB host port like the 3.6 ?

Yes it does, but the connections are in very different places

Quote Originally Posted by Mrchadwickusa View Post
    Quick dumb question, I see the blurb says it has two USB high speed ports, does it support a USB host port like the 3.6 ?
    As was already mentioned, yes it does have USB Host support. There are two pads on the bottom of the T4, under the Other USB connector for the USB host (D+ and D-). Then on the Beta carrier boards (and mine), the +5v that is passed to the USB Host, we go through another chip to help control how much current... The one I ordered is: https://www.digikey.com/products/en?...-5-ND%E2%80%8E

There is sort of a schematic that I believe @mjs513 did in the huge beta thread, which I believe @Paul made some suggestions on.

And I forgot to mention, that you use the same library for this: USBHost_t36

And during this time frame a lot of new support was added.

Looks great, I've ordered a couple. Thanks for all the hard work to bring this to us.

A quick question - does it work with the Audio Adapter Board?

Cheers, Paul

Quote Originally Posted by houtson View Post
    Looks great, I've ordered a couple. Thanks for all the hard work to bring this to us.

Cheers, Paul
    you need the latest Rev C of the audio adaptor (has 100 ohm resistor on MCLK). not all of audio lib is working ...

EDIT: actually,audio adaptor won't work (see post #16 below). it worked with special breakout boards that Paul provided...
    Last edited by manitou; 08-07-2019 at 10:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by houtson View Post

Cheers, Paul
    Note, the pinout is different between the 3.2/3.5/3.6 and the 4.0 that means you can't just plunk the audio shield on top of or underneath the Teensy and just connect the 28 pins. This is due to the 4.0 not having the alternate SPI pins and the I2S pins got moved. The beta testers got a shield with an audio board that connected the appropriate pins. I don't know if there will be an official version of the shield from PJRC or not. If not, I assume somebody will design the appropriate PCB.

And as Manitou says, you also need to connect a 100 ohm resistor if you have the older audio board.

Itīs alive!!!!

Congratulations for the hard work!.

One question: Which microSD socket do you recommend to use?

Any link?

Just ordered 5pcs.

Quote Originally Posted by TFTLCDCyg View Post
    Ditto!

Quote Originally Posted by TFTLCDCyg View Post
    Itīs alive!!!!

Congratulations for the hard work!.

Any link?
    This post mentions accessing the microSD pins:

The beta2 board had a flex cable socket soldered in and a flex cable connector (presumably HFW8R-1STE1LF) soldered in.

Unfortunately, it looks like the HFW8R-1STE1LF is at the end of life. Digikey no longer stocks it, and Mouser only has 255 on hand.

Greetings!

I just installed the latest Teensyduino installer, and after running it, I only see up to Teensy 3.6 available for board selection in the Arduino IDE (ver 1.8.9). Will the Teensy 4.0 board be supported soon?

Quote Originally Posted by rt54321 View Post
    Greetings!

I just installed the latest Teensyduino installer, and after running it, I only see up to Teensy 3.6 available for board selection in the Arduino IDE (ver 1.8.9). Will the Teensy 4.0 board be supported soon?
    for now, you need Teensyduino 1.47-beta5
    https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/54711...l=1#post193715

Cool

I have a google spreadsheet that I try to keep the pin assignments between the various Teensy 3.x/LC/4.0 processors. I believe I have the updates in place for 4.0:

If you are attempting to move a Teensy 4.0 to a PCB/breadboard layout designed for an earlier Teensy you should note some of the differences. While there are differences, there is a lot that is the same:
    • For serial UARTs, only Serial1 is in the same position (pins 0 & 1);
    • The Serial2 pins on 4.0 are in the same position as Serial3 in 3.2/3.5/3.6/LC, so you should be able to use #ifdef's to switch between the two;
    • The Teensy 4 has 3 more UART ports on pins 14-17, and 20-21 that are not in the same position on the other Teensys (there are other UARTs using the underneath pads);
    • I don't believe the Teensy 4.0 has a hardware CTS port like the 3.2/3.5/3.6 did;
    • The Teensy 4.0 does not have a DAC output pin, so the connection on the prop shield and Adafruit feather wing adapter that uses this pin won't work;
    • The Teensy 4.0 does have more PWM pins than the older processors. For pins 0-12, all pins are PWM capable (so any pin in 0-12 used as PWM will work for the T4). On the analog side, only 3 pins (14, 22, 23) have PWM support on all Teensys;
    • The Teensy 4.0 does not support the touch sensor;
    • The Teensy 4.0 does not support 3 of the 4 inner pins (A10, A11, AREF), but it does have the VUSB pin in the expected place, and there is a solder jumper to disconnect VUSB and VIN;
    • The Teensy 4.0 is 3.3v only;
    • As I alluded to in the previous post, the Teensy 4.0 only supports SPI0 on the standard ports (MOSI: 11, MISO: 12, SCK: 13). Unlike the 3.2/3.5/3.6, I believe there is only one 'fast' CS port (pin 10). Pins 2, 6, 9, 15, 20, 21, 22, 23 are no longer fast ports for optimized display drivers. Unfortunately this means the audio shield will need some rewiring;
    • There is a second and third SPI port using some of the underneath pins. Note, two of the pins for SPI1 are on pins 0 (CS) and 1 (MOSI1), but that is not indicated in the current pinout card;
    • On the other Teensys pins 16-17 are alternate pins for the first I2C bus. On the Teensy 4.0, pins 16-17 are the second I2C bus;
    • The pins for I2S are all different (this along with the lack of alternate SPI ports is problematical for the audio shield connected directly);
    • The pin in the 3.2/LC back that used to be the DAT is now an on/off switch. If you connect it to ground, it will turn off after a few seconds, and if you press it again, it will power on the Teensy;
    • The Teensy 4.0 has both double and single floating point, while the 3.5 and 3.6 only supported single floating point in hardware, a compiler option was used in 3.x/LC to make all FP constants single precision, and this might cause some subtle errors on T4 where I believe the option is not used.
    Last edited by MichaelMeissner; 08-07-2019 at 10:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMeissner View Post
    I have a google spreadsheet that I try to keep the pin assignments between the various Teensy 3.x/LC/4.0 processors. I believe I have the updates in place for 4.0:

Maybe I don't know how to read it, but it does not appear to list/track the FlexTimer Module pins?

https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_libs_PulsePosition.html

I am trying to figure out what the future of PulsePosition input capture would be on T4 (and maybe on a larger T4.x down the road), mapping to the new Quad Timer QTIMER, and I can't even figure out how many T4 pins are actually QTIMER-capable.

See my attempt to find references in the existing T4 threads here. I'd appreciate any clarification/references.

https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/57127...e-capabilities

Also T 3.2/5/6 have RESET available but not on T4.

That is an amazing sheet. The only thing might be missing is the ADC information.

Hey guys, I'm adding an FPC connector to the bottom of mine. The 2 pads flanking the 8 pins for the connector on the T4, those are intended for mechanical reinforcement, right? They're N/C so I can solder up the supports? I'm using https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...rrencycode=USD in case my question was confusing. And also for those looking for a connector.

Spark fun has a YouTube video up about it.

https://youtu.be/oBlHfg3AfAQ