Teensy 4.0 Release

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it is only 330 times faster if you are measuring against the Arduino Mega (and presumably Uno). If you figure that the Teensy 3.0 is the 'original' Teensy to compare it against, it is only 10 times faster for integer code (roughly, Paul didn't list the Teensy 3.0, but as I recall it runs the same clock rate as the Teensy 3.1/3.2). Now for floating point code, it is much, much faster.

There are things that need as much floating point speed as they can get (gps processing, advanced audio processing, etc.).

The original Teensy is AVR based and very comparable to the Arduino board in terms of performance.

For most control jobs the Teensy AVR will be more than sufficient. I'm using it for amateur rocketry and am pretty confident we could use it to launch a satellite into orbit if we built a big enough rocket. No need for ARM.

OTOH I believe we may see Teensy's running Python since the ARM processors are fast enough to run interpreted languages.

Obviously there are some tasks for which the AVR will be insufficient. I, for example, am using a Teensy 3.2 to build a SD music card player. For that I need an I2S interface, which the AVR lacks.

Last edited:
hope Paul will ad the Datasheet soon

Done. No email or registration or personal info required, just a regular link to get the PDF.

https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/datasheets.html

We do have a signed NDA with NXP, but it specifically says documents must be marked as confidential. This one isn't. But we can't share the 1050 security manual which does indeed say "Confidential Proprietary" in red at the bottom of every page.

Months ago I did exchange emails with someone at NXP about the lock status of the not-confidential reference manual. Sounds like there was some push by an internal group to collect more info about customers. Kinda also sounded like a case of (probably petty) inter-office politics. Personally, I think they're really shooting themselves in the foot. It really is giving almost everyone in the maker world a sour taste for NXP at a moment with the news of Teensy 4.0 really is introducing so many people to the awesomeness of their iMXRT products. No makers want to give their email to corporate websites just to access technical documentation. They're big corp types who don't understand maker & open source culture, they're clueless about how rude and off-putting that is to makers.

So I'm putting it on our page. It's only going to help everyone to actually use their chip. But the caveat is if they later declare this info to be confidential, we'll have to take it down (the NDA does say anything can later, in writing, be declared as confidential... though I'm not sure off the top of my head if there's a time limit to do so). I seriously doubt that will ever be a problem.

The reference manual clearly isn't confidential info. In fact, pretty much all of it is just copypasta from their many other Kinetis & iMX6 manuals... if you're willing to put in the time to compare many thousands of pages (as I did, months before we started the beta test).

Even more confusing, NXP's website says it was last modified "01 Fed 2019". But if you actually create an account and download the file, it's "Rev. 1, 12/2018".

Rev 1 is still riddled with errors and wrong info that doesn't apply, even lots of typos that a spell checker should catch. :( But the info that really matters, like peripheral mapping to the pins/pads and register names & bit fields is correct.

Done. No email or registration or personal info required, just a regular link to get the PDF.

https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/datasheets.html

We do have a signed NDA with NXP, but it specifically says documents must be marked as confidential. This one isn't. But we can't share the 1050 security manual which does indeed say "Confidential Proprietary" in red at the bottom of every page.

Months ago I did exchange emails with someone at NXP about the lock status of the not-confidential reference manual. Sounds like there was some push by an internal group to collect more info about customers. Kinda also sounded like a case of (probably petty) inter-office politics. Personally, I think they're really shooting themselves in the foot. It really is giving almost everyone in the maker world a sour taste for NXP at a moment with the news of Teensy 4.0 really is introducing so many people to the awesomeness of their iMXRT products. No makers want to give their email to corporate websites just to access technical documentation. They're big corp types who don't understand maker & open source culture, they're clueless about how rude and off-putting that is to makers.

So I'm putting it on our page. It's only going to help everyone to actually use their chip. But the caveat is if they later declare this info to be confidential, we'll have to take it down (the NDA does say anything can later, in writing, be declared as confidential... though I'm not sure off the top of my head if there's a time limit to do so). I seriously doubt that will ever be a problem.

The reference manual clearly isn't confidential info. In fact, pretty much all of it is just copypasta from their many other Kinetis & iMX6 manuals... if you're willing to put in the time to compare many thousands of pages (as I did, months before we started the beta test).

Many thanks

OTOH I believe we may see Teensy's running Python since the ARM processors are fast enough to run interpreted languages.

Obviously there are some tasks for which the AVR will be insufficient. I, for example, am using a Teensy 3.2 to build a SD music card player. For that I need an I2S interface, which the AVR lacks.

Exactly how fast does a CPU need to be to run an interpreted language?
And are we talking 'tokenized' or 'plain text' files?

The 1984 Psion Organiser with a hitachi 6301 running at 0.9MHz was quite capable of running the precursor to OPL, and the 'compiler'(tokenizer)
On the Organiser II Snake(4lines graphics on a 2char line screen... ) ran just fine. Colossal cave was a bit of a wait, though, but that was more the design of the CASe handling, I think. And linked executables...
I think someone is working on Javascript...

The Fignition(SBC using an AVR chip) runs FORTH at 400KiPs. And it has a Video output...

If Python hasn't already been ported to the *duino world, it's only because no one has felt the need for it.

I'm not sure if anyone here besides myself uses Platformio for development, but it's wonderful.

I opened a ticket a few days ago to get support for T4 added: https://github.com/platformio/platform-teensy/issues/47

No activity yet though.

I use platformio addon in vscode for t3.6, works perfect! Sometimes a bit outdated libs comes with it, so i have to manually replace for newer ones.
Haven't used arduino ide for about 2 years now.
Hard to work with arduino ide when your project have about 40 files :)

I'm not sure if anyone here besides myself uses Platformio for development, but it's wonderful.

I opened a ticket a few days ago to get support for T4 added: https://github.com/platformio/platform-teensy/issues/47

No activity yet though.

Thanks for doing that, I'm also a VERY happy PlatformIO user.

I suspect that it won't be updated until a non-beta release of Teensyduino that supports T4 is out. Not sure when that is planned.

Exactly how fast does a CPU need to be to run an interpreted language?

The 1984 Psion Organiser with a hitachi 6301 running at 0.9MHz was quite capable of running the precursor to OPL, and the 'compiler'(tokenizer)

Performance expectations are slightly different these days. Back then even a 10 PRINT "Hello" 20 GOTO 10 BASIC program made you happy it ran at all even if you could literally see each line appear on the screen one after the other, and there was no problem running something that took 3, 5 or 10 seconds to execute. Nowadays anything's expected to be instant, if your system takes half a second to respond to user input you'll get chewed for it and the user isn't going to care about the technical reason for it, your job to choose one that doesn't cause that...

@Robin, @Paul - Just thought I would mention, that the T4's I ordered after the announcement arrived today!

As always, great service!

Now I just need to get busy and assemble another one of my breakout boards :D

First check yesterday after email they were no show on AdaF and SFun - as noted no count on AdaF - but then SparkFun showed " 250+ " - at first then 242 and :: 213 items in stock and dropping at 2:08 AM - 15 hours ago to 163 now.

Well just check Sparkfun on its now a backordered item - "Some are estimated to be available by Sep 2, 2019. Notify Me" and Adafruits site just says "OUT OF STOCK"

Congrats @Paul and @Robin

@Robin, @Paul - Just thought I would mention, that the T4's I ordered after the announcement arrived today!

As always, great service!

Now I just need to get busy and assemble another one of my breakout boards :D

I noted I was willing to wait - so my order shipped a day late on the 8th - so I got the service I asked for :) - schedule says Monday 12th delivery - though may be close enough to make Saturday.

Funny thing is I ordered a 66.5 pound box of metal shipped USPS that left Montana also on the 8th and is showing Saturday 10th delivery - of course that purchase came with free Priority delivery.

Well just check Sparkfun on its now a backordered item - "Some are estimated to be available by Sep 2, 2019. Notify Me" and Adafruits site just says "OUT OF STOCK"

Congrats Paul and Robin

That is Stunning! And indeed congratulations on making another Great Addition to the Teensy Family! It was nice to get to help :)

I was hoping they would sell out. Paul deserves it. I still can’t believe he kept a $20 or less price point .

I was hoping they would sell out. Paul deserves it. I still can’t believe he kept a $20 or less price point .

I too was hoping - assuming - they would sell out, which is why I noted my order could wait to ship until the next batch was ready.

FUNNY - I see I got a 5 AM SPARKFUN email introducing the Bestest Fastest Teensy ever - and now Sparkfun.COM seems to be offline - I wonder how big the T_4 backorder list will be …

Indeed the $20 price point is amazing!

And from PJRC.com: Teensy 4.0 is now available.
Inventory Status: Out Of Stock
Last physical count: Aug 9, 2019

Update, Aug 9: More Teensy 4.0 are in production now, likely to arrive in 1 week. Get your order in now to reserve your's from that batch, as they very well may sell out. We are currently are working through a backlog of orders. If you placed an order before 5AM Friday, we will very likely be able to ship it by Tuesday. I know waiting is painful, but please understand we're working to ship them as quickly as we can. If you are in Europe, look for Teensy 4.0 at distributors. They will sell out quickly. We hope to get much more stock to distributors within the next few weeks.

The three T4.0 boards I ordered arrived this morning. This is almost exactly 48 hours from ordering online to boards in the mailbox in "end of the dirt road West Virginia." Excellent service by PJRC, and a stroke of luck with the USPS since they quoted a Saturday delivery.

Unfortunately I haven't got past the point where I install TeensyDuino 1.47 B5. I tried three times, starting with a fresh install of everything the second time, and a different computer the third time. Once 1.47 B5 is installed most of my known good sketches for T3.2 and T3.6 refuse to compile. I get cascading compiler errors starting with "Error while detecting libraries included by C:\Program Files (x86) \Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\Audio\output_i2S.cpp"

There are multiple references to a #endif without #if and an #elif without #if

Are these known issues, or am I doing something stupid.

Everything works when I install a fresh copy of Arduino 1.89 and Teensyduino 1.46, with a T3.2 and a T3.6, but none of my sketches work once Teensyduino 1.47 B5 is installed. First PC runs W7, second runs W10 but the issue seems related to the output_i2S.cpp code. I haven't tried other sketches since virtually everything I have built with Teensys is audio related. My usual test code for system verification is Guitar.ino from PJRC, since it requires no inputs. it was the code used here too.

The three T4.0 boards I ordered arrived this morning. This is almost exactly 48 hours from ordering online to boards in the mailbox in "end of the dirt road West Virginia." Excellent service by PJRC, and a stroke of luck with the USPS since they quoted a Saturday delivery.

Unfortunately I haven't got past the point where I install TeensyDuino 1.47 B5. I tried three times, starting with a fresh install of everything the second time, and a different computer the third time. Once 1.47 B5 is installed most of my known good sketches for T3.2 and T3.6 refuse to compile. I get cascading compiler errors starting with "Error while detecting libraries included by C:\Program Files (x86) \Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\Audio\output_i2S.cpp"

There are multiple references to a #endif without #if and an #elif without #if

Are these known issues, or am I doing something stupid.

Everything works when I install a fresh copy of Arduino 1.89 and Teensyduino 1.46, with a T3.2 and a T3.6, but none of my sketches work once Teensyduino 1.47 B5 is installed. First PC runs W7, second runs W10 but the issue seems related to the output_i2S.cpp code. I haven't tried other sketches since virtually everything I have built with Teensys is audio related. My usual test code for system verification is Guitar.ino from PJRC, since it requires no inputs. it was the code used here too.

Indeed there is a known problem with the i2s file : https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/54711-Teensy-4-0-First-Beta-Test?p=211493&viewfull=1#post211493

Cool you got fast delivery! Paul noted he is expecting to get a new TD 1.47 pushed out ...

OK, I'm not so stupid after all, I just didn't dig deep enough into all the T4.0 stuff. In post #3913 of the Teensy 4.0 First Beta Test thread user El Supremo has the answer. I applied his fix and the compiler builds code which runs on a T3.2. The compiler gives warnings related to audio clock and PLL4 when compiling for T4.0. I haven't wired up any hardware to know whether these will cause rude sounds, or not. There could still be an issue with the output_i2S.cpp file.

Hi,

on the pin out card for the Teensy 4.0 i can find the MOSI1 and the SCK1 pins on 26 and 27 for the SPI1 channel. Are there also a MISO1 and a CS1 pin for that channel...or do i have missed/messed up someting… ?

Thank you

Torsten

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back