Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!

Thread: T4.1 Ethernet board

T4.1 Ethernet board

First up, great new board the 4.1

I know your going to get a lot of this sort of thing.

The Ethernet board, if the 6 pins on the Ethernet board were off set to one side, then it looks like the Ethernet board could be soldered via pins direct to the 4.1, no need for cable, unless you wanted one,

Removes worry about the EM problems with the cable, let alone the cost of cable and connectors,

now if the Ethernet card was wide enough that there were side pins that soldered down to the side pins on the 4.1 as well, may be 4 of them, then a strong enough for testing unit would be able to be made,

Then you get one of these... https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...aYqXdbGAlwg%3D

...which is a combined USB and Ethernet socket so you could connect the USB pins too!.

The real problem with a direct-soldered board like this is the Ethernet socket is the same width as the Teensy, so the pins clash. You have to mount the Ethernet jack at an offset, which may put it forward or behind the Teensy's USB socket or float above it on long pins. What is your preference?

Would anybody has an opinion if HR911105A Magjack could have the same performance as Wiznet RB1-125BAG1A suggested by Paul for T4.1 ethernet interface ?

Is it possible to patch pins directly into the 4.1 ie, a rj45 (cabled male) jack directly to the 4.1 then straight into a switch without a magjack? Thinking for testing on bench/lab

Quote Originally Posted by crazy-logic View Post
    Is it possible to patch pins directly into the 4.1 ie, a rj45 (cabled male) jack directly to the 4.1 then straight into a switch without a magjack? Thinking for testing on bench/lab
    No. The magjack provides significant function in voltage reduction and signal presentation.

I just soldered up a minimal connector using just the one required 0.1uF capacitor on the magjack. It works beautifully and the UDP speed tests I've done show speeds over 90mbit/s.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rsz_img_20200519_194148.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	142.6 KB 
ID:	20198

This may be the wrong place to ask this, but it is the first remotely relevant google result so I'll ask here. There are 5 unlabeled pins between the reset button and the microSD slot. There is another next to the USB connector, plus another 21 unlabeled test points, two of which are connected by a trace that appears designed to be cut easily. Is there a full pinout of the 4.1 that at least covers the unlabeled TH pins and maybe those two pads connected with the cut-friendly trace? I'd trace them myself but the store is sold out...and I'm designing the board that my 4.1 will go into once it's not sold out. If those are something related to the microSD slot, I want to add a remote one so all the connectors can be on one side of the board.

The 5 pins between the reset button and the micro-SD slot are the same pins in the back of the Teensy 4.0 (between outer row pins 13 and 12).

On the Teensy 4.1, including the two outer pins, these are:
    • Outer row pin 38;
    • On/off pin;
    • Program pin;
    • Ground pin;
    • 3.3v pin;
    • Vbat pin to power the real time clock with a 3v coin battery (connecting also to a ground pin); (and)
    • Outer row pin 27.

The single inner pin next to the ground pin in between VIN and 3.3v is the Vusb pin. There is a pad underneath the Teensy that connects VIN and Vusb. You can cut this pad if you need to power the Teensy without using the USB connection. See the back of the other Teensy cards for some more information about it.

Next to pins 20 and 21 are 6 pins (3x2 layout) at 2mm pitch that connect to the Teensy 4.1 ethernet.

On the other side there are 5 pins inside the Teensy. These 5 pins bring out the USB host support. The pins are in the same order as the same pins on the Teensy 3.6 (i.e. going from the USB to the back, the order of the pins is VIN (i.e. 5v), D-, D+, and two ground pins, that are same layout as common USB cables in PCs).

Underneath the micro-Sd card reader are two sets of 8 solder pads. The first 8 pads (next to the edge) are for attaching a psram memory chip. The next 8 pads are for attaching either a second psram memory chip or a non-volatile flash memory chip. The two sets of pads share 7 of the 8 pins (the unique pin in both cases acts as the CS pin). These memory pads are on a FLEXSPI controller.
    Last edited by MichaelMeissner; 05-30-2020 at 03:47 AM.

Great! Thank you so much!