Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17

Thread: Teensy 4.0 Breakout Kit

I'm no expert, but after some trial I set the temp to 20 degrees c above the solder paste temp and leave the flow low. Remains to be seen if I'll damage the gun that way, the temp is at the low end of the gun's range so...I'm guessing it should last. If not, oh well... another fee paid towards learning. $40 gun off of Amazon.

I've done some test work with the pre heater and without, with good results either way...I reckon the potential warping of a circuit board goes hand in hand with the size.

Quote Originally Posted by ETMoody3 View Post
    I'm no expert, but after some trial I set the temp to 20 degrees c above the solder paste temp and leave the flow low. Remains to be seen if I'll damage the gun that way, the temp is at the low end of the gun's range so...I'm guessing it should last. If not, oh well... another fee paid towards learning. $40 gun off of Amazon.

I've done some test work with the pre heater and without, with good results either way...I reckon the potential warping of a circuit board goes hand in hand with the size.
    I picked up one of these years ago and used it maybe twice: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Maybe its time to pull it out again and figure out how to use it.

A bit off topic but if you are want to improve your soldering skills, here's a video showing the SMD assembly of a new Russian SDR (software defined radio) kit. It's not a tutorial, but it shows all the SMD soldering techniques in action (including the drag method and hot-air reflow on some very large ICs). It's interesting to see how the surface tension actually drags the chips and aligns the chips. The guy is super fast! Unfortunately the commentary is in Russian. Later in the video it shows the completed SDR in action which (to me) is also impressive.