Bootloader Chip For Teensy 4.0

Just place the order on the website.

If you have questions, ask them here. Don't email or call for any questions. All questions need to be asked & answered here on the forum.

After you've soldered the chip to your custom PCB and you have any results or feedback, I'd prefer to see it here on this forum thread. But if your PCB is secret and you can't share photos or details here, then email.

Only call if there is an urgent problem with your order, like the UPS says they're giving up delivering the package, a mistake in billing or shipping address, an issue with your credit card, etc. Do not call for any technical questions or feedback. PJRC has a hard rule about no telephone tech support (it takes way too much time and the answers don't benefit anyone else). All tech questions need to be asked here on this forum.

Ok. Perfect. One other question then. I need the chips shipped to China. That is where my designer is. I see that there is an option to send there which takes 1-3 weeks, but if I want it there quicker, there are 2 other methods. Can I place an order from USA and have it shipped to China with the Fast method?

I need the chips shipped to China. That is where my designer is. I see that there is an option to send there which takes 1-3 weeks, but if I want it there quicker, there are 2 other methods. Can I place an order from USA and have it shipped to China with the Fast method?

Don't choose postal air mail to China. It takes forever and often packages just disappear in the void. Click the expensive UPS option.

Robin can sometimes substitute DHL for UPS if it's less expensive. If you want to explore that option, place the order and then reply to the confirmation email to ask Robin about DHL. In every email about an order, make sure the 6 digit order number is on the subject. That happens automatically if you just reply to the confirmation.

I notice that there is serious interest in a Teensy 4.x hardware debug environment. I and my partner are interested.
Reading this thread highlights several impediments to such a solution.

The design files that Paul uses are in a format that may not be importable into new board layout programs.
Is there any chance that situation has changed recently? Paul is busy with "other fish to fry", maybe someone else on the planet has solved the issue? Can some of us find that solution?

If this could be solved, then I and my partner might be interested in building a modified board with debug support, buying the chips from Paul and selling the resulting product.

From our perspective this has several uses. We would like to stick with the T4, need better debugging and would prefer a real T4 environment rather than a look alike NXP Development board. If the porting of the design files were solved, it might be to Paul's advantage to be able to migrate to a newer tool. A better debugging environment should increase the use of Teensy 4 boards and chips.

Any one interested in conspiring in such an effort?

For those of you debugging with printf, I might as well admit that I have given up doing that where feasible, using VS Code and building small test modules which can be debugged a line at a time and then ported into the Teensy Arduino build.
There is a always a small, but irreducible, chance of going insane using printf. You have been warned...

Thanks for all the work on this Paul! I'm nearly ready to order PCBs and components for my project. I see the MIMXRT1062DVJ6A is kind of hard to get these days. Is the bootloader that I can order today compatible with the revision B chip? Part no MIMXRT1062DVJ6B?

Had the same question, then read the datasheet, and it seems the chip is almost identical (including same mask sets erratum though I could note one USB pb fixed):
I don't see anymore:
ERR050101 USB: Endpoint conflict issue in device mode is gone in Rev.B
https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/errata/RT1060_1N00X.pdf
(Note that it should make no difference in the T41 current impl. as Paul thankfully took care of supplying VDDHIGH_IN from the TLV75733P.)

Page 10 of the of the new datasheet suggest that Rev.B indicates a silicon rev only (A0 to A1), (see mask changes/fixes)
https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/nxp/data-sheets/IMXRT1060CEC.pdf

Last edited:
I just saw that the MIMXRT1062DVJ6A chip might be discontinued. Is it still safe to implement this in a new project?

From their website: https://www.nxp.com/part/MIMXRT1062DVJ6A#/
Not Recommended for New Designs
While existing customers can still order the part, NXP does not recommend the part be designed into new end products. No discontinuance decision has been made, and all minimum longevity commitments will be honored. When a decision is made, it will be communicate through NXP's product discontinuance process (e.g., with a discontinuance notification to existing customers).

If a new version is manufactured, the bootloader chip should still be able to read both versions, right?

If a new version is manufactured, the bootloader chip should still be able to read both versions, right?
The replacement chip is the "B" version from the previous few messages. Should work identically for our purposes but hasn't been verified at this point.

PJRC recently received 5 of the new "B" version and they were soldered to PCBs just last week.

b.jpg

I have a few other urgent matters to wrap up before I can work with these boards. But I hope to have a definitive answer about using the new B version soon.

Hey PaulStoffregen
I followed this thread but did not come with an conclusion. I have seen that there is a bootloader chip for Teensy4.1, my question is that is it possible to buy one of these and do some modification in the bootloader code, so I can program the teensy4.1 over ethernet. I really need an answer for my master thesis. my second question is, if its possible where can I get the bootloader code so I can make the modifications.

No you can not modify it.
So, no need for the code.

Easiest it to connect the Teensy to a raspberry, via usb, and to send the program to the raspberry which then flashes the teensy via usb.

No you can not modify it.
So, no need for the code.

Easiest it to connect the Teensy to a raspberry, via usb, and to send the program to the raspberry which then flashes the teensy via usb.

What if i connect Teensy to a raspberry via ethernet, would it be possible to flash it?

What if i connect Teensy to a raspberry via ethernet, would it be possible to flash it?

Yes, assuming that the Teensy is connected to the RPI using USB...

A few years ago, I was playing with hexapod with RPI and/or BBB and/or Odroid... where I was using a teensy as the Servo controller... At the time, I connected to the RPI or the like using Putty(actully KiTTy) plus WinSCP and the like (note using Windows machine).

On the RPI I had built the Teensy command line loader (https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/loader_cli.html) built and in the normal path stuff...

So I could build on my Windows machine, copy the executable to the RPI and through a putty window would run the command to flash the teensy

You can do all of his manually using command prompt and WinSCP.... (again different commands on Linux).

Later made it a bit easier, as I had a script window running on the RPI that looked for a file to be created in some location. If it found the file it would then automatically run the CLI loader app.

I also played around with the Arduino build and setup a upload with like menu in the Teensy area, and it was pretty hacked as I had it specific to an IP address, but had it such that if the build completed, it would then upload using an FTP like command line copy the file to the RPI...

But I don't think I have any of this sitting around any more as it was several years ago.

Yes, assuming that the Teensy is connected to the RPI using USB...

A few years ago, I was playing with hexapod with RPI and/or BBB and/or Odroid... where I was using a teensy as the Servo controller... At the time, I connected to the RPI or the like using Putty(actully KiTTy) plus WinSCP and the like (note using Windows machine).

On the RPI I had built the Teensy command line loader (https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/loader_cli.html) built and in the normal path stuff...

So I could build on my Windows machine, copy the executable to the RPI and through a putty window would run the command to flash the teensy

You can do all of his manually using command prompt and WinSCP.... (again different commands on Linux).

Later made it a bit easier, as I had a script window running on the RPI that looked for a file to be created in some location. If it found the file it would then automatically run the CLI loader app.

I also played around with the Arduino build and setup a upload with like menu in the Teensy area, and it was pretty hacked as I had it specific to an IP address, but had it such that if the build completed, it would then upload using an FTP like command line copy the file to the RPI...

But I don't think I have any of this sitting around any more as it was several years ago.

Thank you for your answer.

I am sad to hear, that you don't have it sitting around anymore since I think it might have been really useful!

I was hoping that it was possible to get rid of the USB and flash via ethernet only.

Currently, i am working on my bachelor thesis, which is about IoT. I have some Teensy devices which need to be flashed/updated over Ethernet.
I have been looking for alternative ways to flash the Teensy. I found about a program called Flasher4 which may give me the opportunity but i am not sure.

Do you have any knowledge about it flasher4?

Thank you for your answer.

I am sad to hear, that you don't have it sitting around anymore since I think it might have been really useful!

I was hoping that it was possible to get rid of the USB and flash via ethernet only.

Currently, i am working on my bachelor thesis, which is about IoT. I have some Teensy devices which need to be flashed/updated over Ethernet.
I have been looking for alternative ways to flash the Teensy. I found about a program called Flasher4 which may give me the opportunity but i am not sure.

Do you have any knowledge about it flasher4?
Boards that support flashing via Ethernet have that support built into the bootloader by necessity, because anything else can be overwritten during the flashing procedure. I don't know for a fact that the Teensy 4.x does not support this, but I think if it did, it would be common knowledge by now. But Paul is the one to ask. @PaulSfoffregen ?

Again, the bootloader supports USB only. You can meybe use Flasher 4 - but you have to write code. I guess if you need this for the bachelor, you should be able to write it?
Or just use hardware that supports the things you need?

Maybe you can explain in some words _why_ you need this feature?
And why can't you use FTP, HTPP or whatever to download your firmware to SD and flash from there?

Teensy 4 PCB design

The PCB design was done using an ancient version of PADS. It uses a proprietary format which doesn't play nice with anything else.

I have PADs VX1 software, from back when I was doing PCB design for a living - so technically I could open the older PADS file and strip it back to footprints and netlist, then instiantiate a new layout (credit-card with onboard ethernet jack perhaps?). :)

However, given that there are no extra missing-pins that one might want to route out (unlike some Arduino boards) I can't see why one would want to roll one's own board when the Teensy4.1 has it all done, debuged, and produced for what is an awesome price.

I still use my PADS software in preference to others e.g. RS DesignSpark (the devil one knows is still a lot better than most of the other stuff out there), so still in the game, and a re-layout of the Teensy4.1 would be 2 to 4 weeks work - depending if I stoped to sleep and eat occasionaly, or not.

Anyway, my prority is understanding the RT1062 datasheets and app-notes enough to make up a set of register-level code building blocks in C because I find the C++ stuff is too obscuring of the needed functionalty when I have specific I/O units to control.

Back