Teensyduino 1.47 Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I did find I do have two of those displays(RA8875 from BuyDisplay.com) (one I never did get to work and the other sometimes...) I had the test apps working on T3.6 earlier, but so far nothing showing up on display on T4, with what I think is same wiring...

How do any of you have them wired? I assume you are configured for 4 wire SPI? Probably using the 8 pin JP1 for SPI? Are you using any pins up in the other parts of connectors, like the Reset pin?
Power? The one that was working on T3.6 did not have VR on the board, so hooks up to 3.3v Again at times I think I was/am getting brown out on T3.6 (and T4?) Later yesterday, I tried taking a 3.3v DC/DC converter off of older board I had to see if I could rig it to convert the VUSB to 3.3v... Still no display output, but the Adafruit library was able to read register 0 and liked the result...

Again back to other questions:

In this case the library being used. is RA8875 not that Adafruit library. Looks like both libraries are installed as part of the install. I am not sure where the RA8875 in the release is coming from. I don't see anywhere where @PaullStoffregen has forked it, so I assume it is coming from sumotoy. Question is which release/version? And if any changes are made, how to get those incorporated? As SumoToy has not done anything in about 4 years... As for release his main page says:
https://github.com/sumotoy/RA8875 is the latest stable version.

but: suggests that you use the development branch: https://github.com/sumotoy/RA8875/tree/0.70b11 as it usually contains bug fixes and the like...

As for Adafruit libraries, the version of Adafruit_RA8875 as part of this build. In this case Paul does have a fork of the Adafruit code base, but it looks like this fork is something like 60 commits behind the Adafruit version. So question again is if changes are needed where to do it? Note the Adafruit one still is derived from GFX and not the SPITFT class under GFX...

Edit: Side note: looks like the DC/DC converter I salvaged won't work here. My VUSB is showing only 4.6v? Maybe time to try different USB Hub? And the converter I extracted:
https://www.digikey.com/product-det.../OKI-78SR-3.3-1.5-W36-C/811-2195-5-ND/2259780
Is good for VIN in the range: 7-36v... I measured no voltage coming out...

Last edited:
@Paul,
I just noticed that you asked at the top of this thread for bugs/suggestions related to Teensyduino 1.47 to help with your next go around. I posted a couple of threads in "General Discussion" that might be more appropriate here:

1) A suggestion that the different versions of arm_math for T3 and T4 be made the same. The T3 copy is still the old 2012 while the T4 version is a 2017 version in which many functions have been deprecated and have warnings not to use them. (I have been manually upgrading arm_math for my T3.6 work with every Teensyduino release since 2017).
Since you have already done the upgrade now for T4, it seems to make sense to do the same for T3.

2) A separate (more serious) problem is related to T4 compiler errors when including user-written Audio Library compatible classes, raised by chipaudette here, and resolved fully here, where expanding on a suggestion by KurtE, I found that the problem went away completely by including
#include "core_pins.h"
in AudioStream.h
What I don't understand is why this problem doesn't show up when using standard Audio library classes??? Anyway, it would be good to have the issue fixed properly in the next Teensyduino...

Just received my 2 T4s, good timing :)
Sparkfun did not include the pinout cards though :(

so.. it doesnt give me any USB type options: i.e. MIDI, HID. is that intentional?

The announcement post does say that "USB types other than Serial" are not yet finished and thus not in this release...

RA8875 Sumotoy Lib v0.79

@KurtE - @defragster - @KE4EST

Ok folks broke down and got my RA8875 driver board and display from Adafruit. I got it working with the Adafruit library but not the RA8875 sumotoy library. So I downloaded his development branch 0.79xxxx and modified it to work with the T4. Preliminary results from the benchmark sketch:
Code:
screen:800x480 - rotation:0
Benchmark                Time (microseconds)
Screen fill              16494
Test Pixel               29
Test Pixels              19420
Text                     3544
Lines                    85992
Horiz/Vert Lines         52593
Rectangles (outline)     265817
Rectangles (filled)      265269
Circles (filled)         146734
Circles (outline)        142969
Triangles (outline)      21219
Triangles (filled)       60942
Rounded rects (outline)  106210
Rounded rects (filled)   902876
--------------------------------

screen:480x800 - rotation:1
Test Pixels              11661
Text                     3544
Lines                    85985
Horiz/Vert Lines         52589
Rectangles (outline)     265266
Rectangles (filled)      265692
Circles (outline)        142973
Triangles (outline)      18194
Triangles (filled)       57942
Rounded rects (outline)  106243
Rounded rects (filled)   902635

screen:800x480 - rotation:2
Test Pixels              19420
Text                     3527
Lines                    85989
Horiz/Vert Lines         52591
Rectangles (outline)     265275
Rectangles (filled)      265826
Circles (outline)        142969
Triangles (outline)      21217
Triangles (filled)       60902
Rounded rects (outline)  106196
Rounded rects (filled)   902573

screen:480x800 - rotation:3
Screen fill              16495
Test Pixel               30
Test Pixels              11660
Text                     3543
Lines                    85984
Horiz/Vert Lines         52593
Rectangles (outline)     265717
Rectangles (filled)      265796
Circles (outline)        142971
Triangles (outline)      18200
Triangles (filled)       57657
Rounded rects (outline)  106186
Rounded rects (filled)   902860
I will make it available if anyone wants to try it out shortly - stay tuned.

EDIT: Here is the link to the t4 branch for the sumotoy library:

https://github.com/mjs513/RA8875/tree/RA8875_t4

He also has a wiki associated with using the lib - found how to use the adafruit display with it.

EDIT:
@PaulStoffregen - don't know how to update the RA8875 library that is installed as part of the Teensyduino install?

Last edited:
@Paul - does this in platform.txt matter - or is it showing 1.8.5 on this 1.8.9 system for some reason?:

Code:
# http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/teensyduino.html
name=Teensyduino
[B][U]version=1.8.5[/U][/B]

Just got my 4.0, ran the Adafruit SSD1306 demo on it. WOW fast, can almost not see the "animation"! Can't wait for the additional USB support. Thanks!!

Just received my Teensy 4.0. Looks interesting but can't do much yet. Is there any information out there yet on the specs of the audio implementation on the board or how to get the audio card going with it? Fingers crossed that we get better and more centralized documentation for this potential gem. I wound up giving up on my 3.6 synth project and now have half of an analog modular synth up and running still, it would be great to get a decent compact and portable v4.0 based system going. Looks good so far at this early stage. 'Onya Paul!

Just received my Teensy 4.0. Looks interesting but can't do much yet. Is there any information out there yet on the specs of the audio implementation on the board or how to get the audio card going with it? Fingers crossed that we get better and more centralized documentation for this potential gem. I wound up giving up on my 3.6 synth project and now have half of an analog modular synth up and running still, it would be great to get a decent compact and portable v4.0 based system going. Looks good so far at this early stage. 'Onya Paul!

lots of posts on T4 audio ... maybe try this one https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/57764-Teensy-3-6-versus-4-0-for-audio-processing

I think the T4 version (Rev D) of the audio shield is now available at PJRC store
https://www.pjrc.com/store/teensy3_audio.html

Last edited:
lots of posts on T4 audio ... maybe try this one https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/57764-Teensy-3-6-versus-4-0-for-audio-processing

I think the T4 version (Rev D) of the audio shield is now available at PJRC store
https://www.pjrc.com/store/teensy3_audio.html

Unfortunate that the pin allocation was re-arranged. I'll just have to bodge up an adapter. What I am most curious about are the numerous "Digital audio" pins on the board pinout map and in what way they are implemented.

Quick followup on this old thread. Teensyduino 1.49 was released, with updated RA8875 library and several of the features mentioned on this old thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back