RA8875 from Buydisplay

Status
Not open for further replies.
@pd0lew

ok. messed it up - think I got my branches confused. I pull all the changes now into the RA8875 branch( https://github.com/mjs513/RA8875/tree/RA8875_t4 ). With the corrections to a couple of the files in the subdirectories (yes I missed those but I went over each one individually to make sure - already caught your comment in post #23.

Made one other change for the 1062:
Code:
	#elif defined(__IMXRT1062__)
		//always uses SPI transaction
		if ((_mosi == 11 || _mosi == 26 || _mosi == 35) && (_miso == 12 || _miso == 1 || _miso == 34) && (_sclk == 13 || _sclk == 27 || _sclk == 36)) {//valid SPI pins?
			if (_mosi != 11) SPI.setMOSI(_mosi);
			if (_miso != 12) SPI.setMISO(_miso);
			if (_sclk != 13) SPI.setSCK(_sclk);
		} else {
			_errorCode |= (1 << 1);//set
			return;
		}
		if (!SPI.pinIsChipSelect(_cs)) {
			_errorCode |= (1 << 2);//set
			return;
		}
		pinMode(_cs, OUTPUT);
		SPI.begin();
		digitalWrite(_cs, HIGH);
so the display should be supported on all SPI ports (SPI, SPI1 and SPI2).

@KurtE - did I do that one right or did I miss something? Your RA8875 display may work now for you.

@KurtE - did I do that one right or did I miss something? Your RA8875 display may work now for you.
Downloaded zip file, deleted the old directory and it builds :D

May be awhile before I pull out their display again :D Right now most of the T4's are showing eyes :D

Yeah - getting ready to solder up another T4 - they are all getting tied up with in process projects/testing. Should have ordered a couple more than I did - glad September is almost here :)

I tried hooking up the one with the 5v regulator up and like before nothing...
And the one I had some luck with before is without 5v regulator...

@KurtE - sorry it didn't work - did you try @pd0lew version by any chance? Maybe I missed something - guess I will be ordering a display from BuyDisplay.

@mjs513 - One interesting point is my 5v version I believe I originally ordered the wrong board and it is a 480x272, the 2nd one that I Think sort of worked was the 800x... version.

Another thing that at times gives me Pause to order from BuyDisplay.com, is that on my PC, Norton won't allow me to go their site as their security credentials are bad...

The first one I ordered through EBay...

Not sure if I will punt, try to order another one or.

Will I ordered an Adafruit one through Digikey (Went for the cheap 4" version again 480x272, but should at least be able to test some stuff...

Hi Kurt,

The Adafruit RA8875 is a terrible one.... I have one but I like to put it in the garbage tray. No fonts no speed.. worth less to try. I can send you a good display for free. The only thing is I must know your post address.
Best,
Johan

This makes the difference, sharp as a knife, fast and we have a working library:D
DeepinScreenshot_select-area_20190826215616.jpg
Best,
Johan

Hi Johan

Maybe no font but the benchmarks are about the same as what you got. Here is a comparison - yours is on the left the RA8875 with the 5" display on the right:
Capture.JPG

Probably yes, but see the difference in real no fonts no graphics and no buttons and the price is more or less the same. Compare both display is also difficult because the RA8875 can also used as dual layer display. No other display correct me if I am wrong can do this. As example my CWdecoder
must shift eight lines up(liberation mono fonts) at the time you will not see any delay. I tested a lot of displays even the ILI9341_t3 can not shift up lines that fast due the lack of dual layers. It's all about the SPI bus speed and for the RA8875 this is limited to approx 23MHz more than good for all my projects such as the brand new power and swr meter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pja2Arkfe4A&feature=youtu.be

Best regards,
Johan

4 wire SPI, no font chip, 5VDC and FT5206 touchscreen controller the 4.3 " is very very sharp and still 800x480 pixels.

4 wire SPI, no font chip, 5VDC and FT5206 touchscreen controller the 4.3 " is very very sharp and still 800x480 pixels.

So that is their capacitive touch screen? I assume you use some form of ribbon connector to connect it up to your setup?

Something like: https://www.buydisplay.com/default/...-lcd-module-display-touch-panel-screen-ra8875

Actually the next thing I might try is to solder on an AMS1117 3.3v VR to the other board plus a POLCAP and other cap and unsolder J8 and see if that makes my boards happier...

Last edited:
@pd0lew - thanks for config - wasn't sure if you all were using a font chip or the type of touch.

@KurtE - Good luck - hate having to mod the H/W to make things work.

Debating on whether to get the 5v or 3.3v version

If it is any hint to you, I am modifying the 3.3v version to be 5v version. The difference is: The soldered on a AMS1117 VR, added another POLCAP, plus decoupling CAP, plus did not solder J8 (Sound familiar ;) )

@Kurt

No ribbon cable .... on the RA8875 display is a 40 pins header and I use normal wires but keep it as short as possible.

Best,
Johan

@pd0lew - With the two different ones I ordered earlier. The one with resistive touch, I believe the touch interface went through the 40 pin connector of the display.

But with the capaciitive version, it had a ribbon cable the hung of the edge, that has their FT50... touch controller on that ribbon, and I think it came with a small ribbon connector that you could attach to something... Note this was with the ER-TFTM050-3 boards...

Hi Kurt,

Please choose the right one with no loose touchscreen controller, those days the FT5206 is integrated on the board and you need I2C and int pin so it's simple like that go anyway for a capacitive controller. The FT5206 needs no calibration that make it much easier too.

Best,
Johan

Thanks, I looked at the new datasheet for the 4.3" and yes looks like the connectors are different including the touch stuff you mentioned. So went ahead and ordered. I choose slow boat delivery so may be awhile...

I'm thinking of a big display but I really like cap touch like on my phone. So resistive is the way to go and doesn’t need calibration?

Thanks, I looked at the new datasheet for the 4.3" and yes looks like the connectors are different including the touch stuff you mentioned. So went ahead and ordered. I choose slow boat delivery so may be awhile...

Yep - ordered mine last night as well - oh well another display for the box :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back