Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9

Thread: RA8875 from Buydisplay

@KurtE
    Found them available in single quantities, shipping from china:
    https://www.buydisplay.com/default/l...t-89-5-package
    https://lcsc.com/product-detail/LED-...9E_C93793.html

Thanks, I went ahead and ordered some from BuyDisplay...

And: being a gluten for punishment also ordered replacement board as I was already paying for shipping :lol:
    Last edited by KurtE; 09-12-2019 at 05:08 PM.

@KurtE
    i was about to post an issue over on Github for sumotoy's library and your last issue you posted there lead me here. I am interested if you all have decided if someone else is going to permanently host a fork that is maintained since sumotoy isn't maintaining it anymore.
    I have used hundreds of the RA8875 displays(from buydisplay) over the last couple years with T3.2 and T3.5's and would be interested in submitting some bug fixes in the library if its going to be maintained by someone. As you mentioned in an earlier post here, it would also be nice to get it to a state so that Teensyduino gets packaged with a newer maintained version.
    PS. I just got the RA8875 to read images via DMA from external flash and its wicked fast as compared to what I've been able to do in the past by pushing images from Teensy over SPI. During that process, i found an error in the library's "_updateActiveWindow" function. Its setting the Active window Horizontal Endpoints to RA8875_WIDTH which is 800. It should be setting it to 799. This was causing the DMA image transfer to be skewed on an angle because every line would progressively be off by pixel.

Hi @Gremlin and @mjs513 and @PaulStoffregen - I am hoping that we find a good place to host some of these display driver updates.

Currently a few of us have been playing around with them and have them working pretty well on the Teensy boards. @mjs513 has our sort of official version up at
    The Fork/Branch: https://github.com/mjs513/RA8875/tree/RA8875_t4

It would be great if you could issue a PR to him or me (If me, I would simply PR it back to him with any other changes I find). Currently waiting for parts to hopefully repair my 4.3" 800x480 display (I smoked the backlight circuit) as well as a replacement... Will then probably make sure I can run two of the displays on one T4 or T3.5/6. Can already run the displays and can already do resistive touch, but have not tried capacitive touch which may need me to run I2C on two different Wire objects...

Now that I have a few of these displays sitting around:

I now think I might have a 4 working Buydisplay RA8875 displays. 2 5" (one 480x272 resistive touch, one 800x400 capacitive, lost connector) and 2 4.3" capacitive touch

Thought I might do some quick and dirty T4 (maybe support for t3x) board for making it easier to play with one of these boards...

First off wondering if anyone has already done this?

Trying to decide if it should be about same size of display, or maybe just the height of board and wide enough to hold Teensy and some other stuff. Not sure yet what stuff. Probably breakout pins for all easy to get to pins, including bottom surface mount. Not sure yet about SDCards...

Actually a simple board like a working version of Tall dogs breakout with a 2x20 connector that fits the 4.3" size correctly and if convenient an extra 2x8 that hits the 5" version and if it can align properly maybe jumpers to setup to get INT and Reset pins in other connector area...

Thoughts?

I like your idea. I have often wished for display breakout boards for 3.2 and 3.6 to tidy-up my breadboard prototyping. If you can make it work well stand-alone but also still bread-board compatible even better! (this might not be feasible with a big display I guess).

(EDIT: I'm not sure how valid the below suggestion is, considering you have Touch functionality but maybe you can incorporate this as an alternative on the touch pins, or potentially as an addition, using other pins.)

If you have free real estate on the board and can still access with the display in place, consider pads for a 5-way joystick such as SKRHABE010 which has a 9.5mm x 9.5mm footprint.

I use this part on a board i had made that carries an spi display and a T3.6.

Maybe an analogue joystick would be more useful to the average user and may compliment touch functonality better, but I just needed a way to navigate numerous menu lists and be able to accurately navigate to single pixel positions on screen. Touch for me was also not ideal for gloved hands, oily fingers, and outdoor rain....

Quick update... I played around a little with Diptrace and have a first pass board...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	T4-RA8875-3D.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	102.4 KB 
ID:	17849

May try a second pass using the castellated board to see how that lays out...

Edit - Yes I know I need to choose my different outline for T4 as to remove a few extra holes...

Hi Kurt,

Looks great!

Best,
    Johan

Thanks,

I hacked up another version of it today that uses the castellated breakout board... Also added some jumpers so in theory I can try other SPI pins, like SPI1 and SPI2...

But I think I may need to do a few more things, like maybe I need PU resistors on the Wire pins for getting the touch data? Need to look that up...

Maybe also should make The wire pins configurable... Need to see how hard that would be...

Name:	T4-RA8875-3D-C.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	116.4 KB 
ID:	17858

Hi Kurt,

Can you add also one or two AD's 12 bit to the board?
    Best,
    Johan

ADC’s ? How about a DAC or two? Only thing I see missing from the 4. Or maybe some of those spots like for external memory on the audio sheild . I am also a bit worried if the 4is overclocked there might not be a lot iv spare 3.3v for some projects. Anyway that’s probably too much feature creep. The Tennsy fits a lot of projects just because it doesn’t have too much you don’t use. I do find my self going for a board with built in wireless and battery over the Teensy more these days.

Sorry, right now I am not looking to keep adding that type of functionality (ADC, DAC) to this board. Mainly playing with it to play more with these boards and then if something else comes up, maybe make a revision with additional things... And as normal, I will put this up on my github with the dip trace sources as well as zip file with gerber/drill...

I can probably easy add one or two more 3.3v/GND pins without much work, as that area is pretty clear...

I changed some of the setup now to allow the I2C Pins to be configurable like the SPI ones were in previous picture. I changed default CS pin to 9 instead of 10, as to
    work with Audio board. Moved reset to 30. Combined the two different interrupt pins I had to 1 (32), but it is configurable 3 different ways to hopefully work with a different displays.
    5" with Resistive touch 4.3" Capacitive touch and hopefully 4.3" Resistive (don't have one of those...).

The only other thing I am thinking about is if to try to buffer the MISO pin, so can hopefully work with AUDIO board... Although could jumper board to use different SPI...

I am not sure if I want to go to the full extent of: https://github.com/sumotoy/RA8875/wi...er-SPI-devices

But wondering if could just do MISO...

Quote Originally Posted by KurtE View Post
    Sorry, right now I am not looking to keep adding that type of functionality (ADC, DAC) to this board. Mainly playing with it to play more with these boards and then if something else comes up, maybe make a revision with additional things... And as normal, I will put this up on my github with the dip trace sources as well as zip file with gerber/drill...

I can probably easy add one or two more 3.3v/GND pins without much work, as that area is pretty clear...

I changed some of the setup now to allow the I2C Pins to be configurable like the SPI ones were in previous picture. I changed default CS pin to 9 instead of 10, as to
    work with Audio board. Moved reset to 30. Combined the two different interrupt pins I had to 1 (32), but it is configurable 3 different ways to hopefully work with a different displays.
    5" with Resistive touch 4.3" Capacitive touch and hopefully 4.3" Resistive (don't have one of those...).

The only other thing I am thinking about is if to try to buffer the MISO pin, so can hopefully work with AUDIO board... Although could jumper board to use different SPI...

I am not sure if I want to go to the full extent of: https://github.com/sumotoy/RA8875/wi...er-SPI-devices

But wondering if could just do MISO...

Kurt,
    That's a pity because you design a nice board but the Teensy need also input.... the most important part is than not added. Please consider this because the new T4 has not decent A/D input.
    Best regards,
    Johan

Sorry, I know that there are many of you who would like more Analog stuff.

Maybe in another edition. And/or maybe someone could do a daughter board to add some of this stuff.

As I mentioned, I did rework some of the board to hopefully allow multiple devices on the SPI buss, such that the default configuration might work with both the display and Audio adapter...

Again this is only a V0.1, not sure if it will ever make it to a 0.2... If my track record stays in tact, I expect there will be several problems on the board.

For the heck of it, I ordered a set of them from PCBWay...

But I did upload current versions up to github project: https://github.com/KurtE/Teensy3.1-B...touch%20Shield

As you can see I moved some of the stuff around, like moved the optional external connector from bottom to side, as to minimize how long of traces I needed for the different signals, plus changed from 2x2 jumpers to choose power to a slide switch. Hopefully again I left enough room for switch, depending on power needs.

Now maybe I need to assemble one of those castellated boards...

Name:	T4-RA8875-3D-C.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	127.8 KB 
ID:	17869