Can't get RTC to save time and remember on power up

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrisKasprzak

All,

I have a Teensy 3.2 with a soldered crystal and when powered via usb it seems to store and display correct time.

I have a 3 volt batter + connected to the VBAT and ground connected to GND (the pin next to pin 0 NOT the pin at the end of the board). Both GND's appear to be connected.

I can program the time, but upon disconnect of power (either USB or by power at 3.3 PIN), the programmed time is not stored. Upload the attached code where I have a setTime with arbitrary time. then comment the setTime upload and see how time is not stored.

How to persist time using setTime?

Code:
#include <TimeLib.h>

time_t RTCTime;

void setup() {

Serial.begin(9600);
  setSyncProvider(getTeensy3Time);

// setTime(hr,min,sec,day,month,yr);

//  comment and see if saved data sticks--it will not, so how do you save dates and time?
  setTime(3, 3, 3, 8, 19, 2019);

}

void loop() {

Serial.print(hour());
  Serial.print(":");
  Serial.print(minute());
  Serial.print(second());
  Serial.print(" ");
  Serial.print(day());
  Serial.print("/");
  Serial.print(month());
  Serial.print("/");
  Serial.print(year());
  Serial.println();

delay(1000);

}

time_t getTeensy3Time() {
  return Teensy3Clock.get();
}

OK the plot thickens...while I eagerly wait for some assistance in manually programming the RTC and saving the setting, I ran a sketch to program the date/time based on the serial data from the PC--this seems to save and mimic the time setting from my PC. however....If I power down my teensy wait several minutes, and power back it up (not with USB but 3v3 connected to 3v3 pin), the date and time is what was just before power down--meaning it will not keep updating time during power off.

SO... how is the RTC on a teensy 3.2 supposed to work w/o USB connection? Or is it?

Indeed either GND pin is the same and will work.

It seems the battery is not properly presenting 3V to the VBat pin? Without good VBat connected it will run the RTC when powered.

Uploaded the code to a Teensy 4 - where TeensyLoader sets the time on that device, and it has a CR2032 putting 3V to VBat.

So removing the setTime() code properly uses the set or stored time on this T4.

edit for crosspost: How/Why is 3V3 presented on a USB powered device? Unless VIN<>VUSB trace is cut that should not be.

OK the plot thickens...while I eagerly wait for some assistance in manually programming the RTC and saving the setting, I ran a sketch to program the date/time based on the serial data from the PC--this seems to save and mimic the time setting from my PC. however....If I power down my teensy wait several minutes, and power back it up (not with USB but 3v3 connected to 3v3 pin), the date and time is what was just before power down--meaning it will not keep updating time during power off.

SO... how is the RTC on a teensy 3.2 supposed to work w/o USB connection? Or is it?

It has worked for me in the past, when I hooked up the RTC and soldered in the crystal. I would look into the solder joints on the crystal and Vbat/Ground. I dunno, maybe the crystal suffered from too much heat while soldering, and no longer works?

Though I did learn not to use rechargeable coin cell batteries. Those don't last too long.

i think your sketch needs Teensy3Clock.set() to set the RTC time. See File > Examples > Time > TimeTeensy3

https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_libs_Time.html

a sketch setting RTC from compile TIME DATE
Code:
/*
   TimeRTC.pde
   example code illustrating Time library with Real Time Clock.
   K66/K64 have RTC crystal
*/

#include <TimeLib.h>

// Unixtimeseconds from 1. January 1970  00:00:00
// to 1. January 2000   00:00:00 UTC-0
#define SECONDS_FROM_1970_TO_2000 946684800

int daysInMonth[] = {31, 28, 31, 30, 31, 30, 31, 31, 30, 31, 30, 31};

time_t getTeensy3Time()
{
  return Teensy3Clock.get();
}
void setup() {
  timefromcompiler(__DATE__, __TIME__);
  // set the Time library to use Teensy 3.0's RTC to keep time
  setSyncProvider(getTeensy3Time);

Serial.begin(115200);
  while (!Serial);  // Wait for Arduino Serial Monitor to open
  delay(100);
  if (timeStatus() != timeSet)
    Serial.println("Unable to sync with the RTC");
  else
    Serial.println("RTC has set the system time");
}

void loop() {
  digitalClockDisplay();
  delay(1000);
}

void digitalClockDisplay() {
  // digital clock display of the time
  printDigits(hour());
  printDigits(minute());
  printDigits(second());
  Serial.print(" ");
  printDigits(day());
  Serial.print(".");
  printDigits(month());
  Serial.print(".");
  Serial.println(year());
}

void printDigits(int digits) {
  // utility function for digital clock display: prints preceding colon and leading 0
  if (digits < 10)
    Serial.print('0');
  Serial.print(digits);
}

int conv2d(char* p) {
  int v = 0;
  if ('0' <= *p && *p <= '9')
    v = *p - '0';
  return 10 * v + *++p - '0';
}

void timefromcompiler(char* date, char* time) {
  int _days, _month, _year, _hour, _minute, _second;
  uint32_t _ticks;

//Day
  _days = conv2d(date + 4);

//Month
  switch (date[0]) {
    case 'J': _month = date[1] == 'a' ? 1 : _month = date[2] == 'n' ? 6 : 7; break;
    case 'F': _month = 2; break;
    case 'A': _month = date[2] == 'r' ? 4 : 8; break;
    case 'M': _month = date[2] == 'r' ? 3 : 5; break;
    case 'S': _month = 9; break;
    case 'O': _month = 10; break;
    case 'N': _month = 11; break;
    case 'D': _month = 12; break;
  }

//Year
  _year = conv2d(date + 9);

//Time
  _hour = conv2d(time);
  _minute = conv2d(time + 3);
  _second = conv2d(time + 6);

//Date & Time to Unixtime
  for (int i = 1; i < _month; ++i)
    _days += daysInMonth[i - 1];
  if (_month > 2 && _year % 4 == 0)
    ++_days;
  _days += 365 * _year + (_year + 3) / 4 - 1;

_ticks = ((_days * 24 + _hour) * 60 + _minute) * 60 + _second;
  _ticks += SECONDS_FROM_1970_TO_2000;

Teensy3Clock.set(_ticks);
}

Also, read about __rtc_localtime()

Last edited:
i think your sketch needs Teensy3Clock.set() to set the RTC time. See File > Examples > Time > TimeTeensy3

https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_libs_Time.html

As noted a T4 used and TeensyLoader to set initial time in the end. Using the indicated "setTime(3, 3, 3, 8, 19, 2019);" that gave a time in 2020 { when uploading with TyCommander that doesn't know to set the time on upload } - so just ignored and commented it out. But that appears to not provide a valid set of the RTC time as used.

Yup, this is the right answer. Calling setTime() only changes the volatile time in the Time library.

That library was designed for cases like GPS and networking where you learn the correct time only occasionally and want to sync it to a known source. It's a little confusing to use with a RTC, because you might expect it to always defer to the RTC. But Time keeps track on its own. You need to change the actual source where it's sync'ing to actually change the date/time.

yep setting the teensy3clock was it, it now works like a million bucks.

Code:
  setTime(rHour, rMinute, rSecond, rDay, rMonth, rYear);
  Teensy3Clock.set(now());

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back