Are there plans to make Teensy 4.x equivalents to the 3.2, 3.5 and 3.6?

Status
Not open for further replies.

evictus

Hi there, just received my Teensy 4.0, really cool system. I've been using my Teensy 3.6 for some time now, and I'm wondering if there are current plans for eventually releasing a 4.6 equivalent (i.e., with more pins broken out, potentially higher clock frequencies and a 4-wire SDIO w/ card reader built-in). Thanks!

Paul said in one of the 4.0 threads that it was too early to talk about potential future designs, but it appears to be a popular request.

Paul said in one of the 4.0 threads that it was too early to talk about potential future designs, but it appears to be a popular request.

Great, thanks! I really hope it happens (that, and the mythical JTAG / SWD debugger eventually... :) )

Indeed, too early to talk seriously about this.

But I'll briefly repeat what I've said before, that we'll probably wait for a "larger" chip from NXP to use on "larger" board.

While I can't talk about any future NXP products (which would be covered by NDA until NXP publishes info on their website), you shouldn't need to use much imagination to guess they'll likely add more iMXRT chips over time. That's the path Kinetis followed, and pretty much standard practice for every product line of microcontrollers.

If you were to imagine what such chips might look like, you might take a cue from the fact that iMXRT is pretty much Cortex M7 plus a mix of peripherals from iMX6 and newer Kinetis parts. They have lots of other chips on their website with pretty amazing peripherals.

In a few months, after Teensy 4.0 has stable stock levels at all distributors and we've released Teensyduino 1.49 or 1.50... then will be the time to talk of form factors and I/O. Until then, please feel free to discuss here on the forum. But don't expect me to be involved in any serious way until we've got Teensy 4.0 inventory levels stable and at least a couple software releases made.

At this very moment, I'm working on speeding up the Arduino Serial Monitor. That's on my high priority list for 1.48, so Serial.println("Hello World") without any delays won't crash Arduino on Windows & Mac (and make it run unusably slow on Linux). That is where I'm focusing my attention right now. That is the reason you're not seeing me on the forum much this week, and why I'm not willing to talk seriously about next Teensy feedback... at least not right now.

I'd be down for a 4.6 form factor. Even with the current chip, that could be useful. Although, TBH, the current robot doesn't use all the MHz of the 3.6 it has, so ...
It *does* use all the edge I/O pins, though, and three from the bottom contact pads.
Can never have enough I/O pins!

For those of you who need more pins, again it may depend on just how many more pins you need, but @loglow is working on a breakout board, for the T4, which gives you access to all of the underlying pins as well:
More info up on the thread: https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/57122-Teensy-4-0-Breakout-Kit?p=214227&viewfull=1#post214227

One of his more recent pictures up on that thread:
attachment.php

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back