Encoder with X Plane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hello guys hoping someone can get me on the right track here. I'm running Teensy 2.0++ with X Plane 11. Trying to get an encoder to activate a certain dataref. here is the program:

#include <Encoder.h>

#define TempSel_Left 25

#define TempSel_Right 26

Encoder TempSel = Encoder(25,26);

FlightSimInteger TempSelRotary;

long encoder_prev=0; // detects rotary position change

void setup() {

pinMode(25, INPUT_PULLUP);

pinMode(26, INPUT_PULLUP);

TempSelRotary = XPlaneRef("1-sim/gauge/Tempsel");

}

void loop() {

FlightSim.update();

long enc = TempSel.read();

if (enc != encoder_prev){

TempSelRotary = TempSelRotary + (enc - encoder_prev);

encoder_prev = enc;}

This is for a third party aircraft. I have the correct dataref that's not an issue.

Basically

what the knob in the 3rd party aircraft is its a D rate knob that changes the engine temp from

-30 to +70. and the dataref for those are 0.0 to 1.00. So there is only 21 detents changing

5 degrees each detent.

The code I wrote changes the knob in x plane but, it only changes +70 and -30 only those 2

detents nothing in between. I can't figure out what exactly I am missing to turn the rest. I am using a cts288 encoder.

Any help would be awesome.

so if I'm reading things right, you need it to output from 0 to 1.0 as you twist the knob, but whats happening is its only outputting 0 or 1. so maybe your not using a floating point variable. or its not incrementing it by a tiny amount. the amount it should increment or decrement is 1.0 / 21 = .0476 or basicly .05, keep in mind I dont have xplane, plus you didnt post all the code.

Yes you are correct about the output from 0.0 to 1.0. and not incrementing a tiny bit. That's basically all the code for that knob.

this line seems to set the value, its the one that must be changed to either add or subtract .05 for each detent of the encoder. somehow.

TempSelRotary = TempSelRotary + (enc - encoder_prev);

that should get you to do the whole range, plus you need to check to make sure it doesnt go below 0.0 or above 1.0

The encoder returns integers so the 1st issue your not going to get floating point. To debug I would print the TempSel.read(); every time it changes and print the read values without subtracting to see what the values you get when you turn the encoder. It should become obvious after a while what math is needed to translate to 0.0 to 1.0.

I have a rotary encoder for example which goes up +4 each clockwise click and -4 each counter clockwise tick.

Yes firehopper, I ended up changing this line "TempSelRotary = TempSelRotary + (enc - encoder_prev);" and adding
((enc _ encoder_prev) * .05;
encoder_prev = enc *.05;}
I can now get all of the detents showing up perfectly. The only thing I need to do now is somehow to get it to only use the detents
between 0.0 to 1.0. Other than that its working great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back