Additional USB port for Teensy 3.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

loganjon

Hello everybody.
I would be grateful if you could help me.

I successfully built a Midi-Controller based on Teensy 3.2. Thank you for the great job dear Teensy team.

I use my mobile phone as a sound modul, when I plug it in my controller.
Unfortunally the controller draws current from my phone battery and the phone is losing charge. I would like to prevent this.

My idea is to add an additional USB port to my controller to plug in my phone while a charger is connected to the built-in USB port of Teensy.

I have two questions.

1: Is it possible to solder an USB port in parallel to the built-in Teensy USB port ?

2: Could I use the additional port for plugging in something else, f.e. my Laptop?

Many greetings
Loganjon

There are USB Y-splitters for charging while also using data. For example, I have one to split my Amazon Fire Stick 4K's lone USB port, which is normally used for power only, so that it can also talk to a flash drive. You also find them on phones that use the lone USB port to, for example, drive earbuds. You need a splitter there to charge at the same time.

I'm not exactly familiar with your application but I think thats what you need; it'll keep the phone powered while still allowing the data link between phone and Teensy.

There are USB Y-splitters for charging while also using data. For example, I have one to split my Amazon Fire Stick 4K's lone USB port, which is normally used for power only, so that it can also talk to a flash drive. You also find them on phones that use the lone USB port to, for example, drive earbuds. You need a splitter there to charge at the same time.

I'm not exactly familiar with your application but I think thats what you need; it'll keep the phone powered while still allowing the data link between phone and Teensy.

Thank you very much for reply:
I do not like to use the splitters. I prefer an additional fix soldered USB port (maybe even a Type-A)

Hello everybody.
I would be grateful if you could help me.

I successfully built a Midi-Controller based on Teensy 3.2. Thank you for the great job dear Teensy team.

I use my mobile phone as a sound modul, when I plug it in my controller.
Unfortunally the controller draws current from my phone battery and the phone is losing charge. I would like to prevent this.

My idea is to add an additional USB port to my controller to plug in my phone while a charger is connected to the built-in USB port of Teensy.

yes you could solder a USB wires to the bottom pads (GND D+ D+) (NO 5V !) and pluck that into your mobile phone, and power your teensy with a charge only cable,
OR
you could cut the VUSB-VIN line on your teensy (No power drawn from Host) and power Vin and GND from 5-6V power supply ( e.g. Battery or charge only cable).
second solution is easier to solder

I have decided to use the 3-third option (with tow diode) on the Teensy side.
https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/external_power.html.
test.png
How can I modify to modify this solution to charge my mobile simultaneously, that mean while it is pluged as sound modul

Last edited:
I have OTG adapters for my phone that take power and provide USB device connect - it may charge your phone if it take spower when in Host mode.

I have OTG adapters for my phone that take power and provide USB device connect - it may charge your phone if it take spower when in Host mode.

Thanky you for your advice
I am more interested in modifiying my circuit than using an extra adapter.

Yes, if you cut that bridge, the Teensy won't draw any power from the USB port (you'll have to provide it to VIN some other way). Or if you solder a USB cable directly to it, you'd have to leave off the red wire, otherwise it would be drawing power from USB (no different than plugging a cable in). If you decide to solder the pads, be careful, they're easily damaged.

If a Teensy alone (and not some additional hardware you've added) is noticeably draining your phone battery though, you might want to modify your code to use low-power and idle modes. It draws very little current if programmed correctly so if it's causing a problem, probably the software is never letting it idle (or something is shorted).

An easy but less practical solution is to use an OTG cable to plug a USB hub into the phone, then you can plug as much as you want into it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back