Teensy 2.0 Vin Vcc 12 volts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blake

Hello,

I wasn't having much luck finding an answer to this on the main page so I thought I'd try here. I'd like to power my Teensy 2.0 from a +12 Vdc source and I am not clear if this is possible or if I need to make +5 volts externally.

Thanks!

In theory, yes, should work.

In practice, you may need to add capacitors at its input and output. Many people have had problems with those sorts of converters (when not adding extra capacitors), usually the Traco brand.

Good. Some of those, Traco comes to mind, say the capacitor is only needed if you use a higher input voltage. That's absolutely wrong info. The capacitor is needed. Several people have hit that problem, so I kinda cringe when I see those converters. But if you add the capacitors properly, they do work.

Switched Mode Power Supplies can suffer from poor regulation and be more susceptible to line - borne noise when lightly loaded, especially if the load is noisy.
Loading a Wallwart or Traco converter or similar to 20% of it's rated current with resistors is a good idea if you want them to behave. Then think of connecting the Teensy or whatever.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back