[posted] TSynth - Two Oscillator Polysynth

Hello, I'm using KiCAD. I'm trying to get a decent looking front panel silkscreen and am also playing about with Eagle on Fusion 360. The front panel will be red with white graphics, although JLC offer other colours including matt black. The components are chosen so that you can get them from a 'proper' supplier (like Mouser, RS, DigiKey...) or go to AliExpress and save, because most of them are fairly standard. The 4067 MUXs and MIDI optocoupler components will be SMDs that JLC will assemble onto the main PCB. They'll probably be offered on Tindie or whatever, I need to actually make one first though! I also need to do another demo video, as I want people to appreciate the range of sounds that it's capable of.

Hello, thanks for all the interest. This will probably be a last update. Further information for those interested will be here electrotechnique.cc. The PCBs arrived last week and I'm pleased with the results. The prototype is shown below and is fully working with updated code. I'm anticipating that it will be ready by May and the website will be updated with all the files, including plans for an enclosure. It is open source with the exception of the files to create the PCBs. I'm hoping users will contribute to the code. A Teensy 4 version will be available when it's in a larger form factor, supporting the same functionality.

fp.jpg

pcb.jpg

Very cool. Why didn't I see this thread before!

I very recently built the Notes & Volts TSynth and while is was pretty good, I was also disappointed by the anti-aliasing of the saw and square waves. Could you explain how you solved that problem, or am I using an old version of something?

Very nice to see how your synth is coming along and of course I am flattered you are using my ensemble chorus code.

I have a "string machine" project using the Teensy 3.6 with a Blackaddr interface board. I managed to get lucky drilling holes in a Hammond box and have it cased nicely. String machine code is here: https://github.com/quarterturn/teensy3-string-machine

Main problem preventing it from being something I'd ever consider selling is the 16-bit nature of the audio library. It's just not enough bits when you start summing a lot of waveforms or voices. I have to cut the gain by 25% at each mixer input stage to reliably avoid digital clipping. I know Paul has said he chose 16-bit to align with the M7 floating point but I'd gladly trade that for 32-bits in the processing path. I'll admit I'm selfishly waiting for someone else who is better at c++ to do the 32-bit conversion dirty work. I could probably handle something like writing exponential curve functions for the ADSR envelope waveforms. I would really like to have the sound of exponential decay on the release phase, it sounds so much more natural than a linear ramp.

Just wanted to say I love you guys! Finally graduated to Teensy, thanks so much Paul! And my TSynth is in the mail, thanks so much UHF...I'm making my own synth after years of planning to, and it wouldn't be possible without you two.

Hi! I am also making a headless tsynth...its great to see it is at least possible! I'm hoping to make about four of them in a rack space. I bought and built a proper tsynth and it sounds amazing, now I get to see if I can do what you did. My main issue so far is my midi controller only sends about 30 controller messages and the tsynth has about 44 possible...this must be solvable :)

You can use your existing TSynth to edit the headless ones. I'm pretty sure the TSynth sends out it's controls over midi and usb, so if you connect your TSynth to the USB host port of your rack versions it should be possible to edit them.

Sorta...I got a novation sl61 mkiii and it actually can send buttons as midi controllers and you can set them up to increment +/-. Not a perfect solution. It takes a pair of buttons for a function, for example...and the SL labels all of your rotary controls for you on an OLED but not the buttons. So I'll need to make a tsynth overlay or something. But still pretty neat!
My Tsynth has become very unstable- all the controls fluctuate wildly in operation now and i am troubleshooting it. I think a headless one will be a lot more stable, but I've been sidetracked lately by discovering Pure Data and climbing that learning curve.

Sorta...I got a novation sl61 mkiii and it actually can send buttons as midi controllers and you can set them up to increment +/-. Not a perfect solution. It takes a pair of buttons for a function, for example...and the SL labels all of your rotary controls for you on an OLED but not the buttons. So I'll need to make a tsynth overlay or something. But still pretty neat!
My Tsynth has become very unstable- all the controls fluctuate wildly in operation now and i am troubleshooting it. I think a headless one will be a lot more stable, but I've been sidetracked lately by discovering Pure Data and climbing that learning curve.

Great solution, it may not be the easiest, but it's effective - thanks for sharing!

Back