Learning to appreciate T4! What about function docs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alan856

After beating my head against the STM/HAL wall - I'm beginning to enjoy the simplicity of Teensy/Ard IDE.

Naturally this VERY advanced chip has a ton of functions not available in any other ARM chip. I'm trying to find out what functions ARE available, and to that end have downloaded the core libraries and have been looking at what is in the Teensy4 folder. I see many useful functions are there. I've just tried the RTC and COOL - it works!

I've asked the before and prob didn't ask it clearly: Wondering about how one determines what features and functions of the imxrt1050x have been implemented in T4 cores, and is there any "external" reference (like a Doxygen page or PDF) that will give details of what functions & definitions are available or are we to just root thru the core library and read the files there?

Currently I see pwm,rtc,usb,etc. I'm also guessing that some of the more less-common features will either be added by external library or added as demand requires.

But mainly I'm hoping to find some fairly easy-to-access docs (.chm?) to learn any of the non-Arduino 328 style functions.

=Alan R.

The MCU on the Teensy4 is the imxrt1060 - there is a 3000+ page ref manual. Many features and functions have been incorporated in standard bus access methods and device libraries. Though it is just after Beta and there are always other ways to access the hardware for special use.

Any and all access features of the hardware are available following the RefMan when not already 'ported' or encapsulated in libraries.

Reading/searching the pages of T4_Beta thread will show that as it evolved from the intro in early Jan.

The first page has summary posts that show notes on working and work needed items.

There is no WiKi or overall doc outside of 'Arduino Functionality' and each individual library where often the Source code it the reference.

Yes - i'm well aware of that 3k page 1060 doc ( as you have mentioned last time I tried to ask this). I have it d/l and looked at it - Very impressive chip!

SO - since the Arduino never had a real time clock capability how am I to know how to code this function? Do I pour thru the T4_beta threads? How do I find out what is available beyond a normal Arduino? You appear to be rather annoyed that I ask about this - I'm not challenging or denigrating the Teensy environment. Nor am I interested in creating new libraries. Would just like to know what functions in the '1060 are now available and what is the syntax of the calls.

You said the "The first page has summary posts that show notes on working and work needed items" - so should I find that T4_Beta thread to find this sort of info?

.... a real time clock capability how am I to know how to code this function?

In Arduino, click File > Examples > Time > TimeTeensy3.

Despite the "3" in the name, it works the same way on Teensy 4.0. If you want to dive into the low-level hardware details, hopefully that gives you a good working starting point.

How do I find out what is available beyond a normal Arduino?
Would just like to know what functions in the '1060 are now available and what is the syntax of the calls.

This sort of info isn't collected up in 1 place. Maybe it should be.

so should I find that T4_Beta thread to find this sort of info?

If you thought the reference manual was long...... ;)

https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/54711-Teensy-4-0-First-Beta-Test

Link to the T4 Beta thread supplied by Paul - Thanks. The first page as noted has key posts up front with status info.

Looking at prior thread ... didn't mention the RefMan there - but did note: "other specific or alternate interfaces or Teensy extensions would to some degree be documented there on that pjrc.com on the left panel" - which has for instance this page on Time.H :: pjrc.com/teensy/td_libs_Time.html

Thanks Paul! In the Arduino IDE all the register names were defined and they could be used in code. The Timers come to mind, as they generally had to be configured by setting various bits in the registers.

So - I’m wondering if you have provided some similar include file with all (!) or at least many of the register names as set forth in the “data-sheet”/user manual. Which would be fine as is just like things were working with the Atmel stuff. But the Timer settings look pretty intense... not sure if I can go there. LOL!

So - I’m wondering if you have provided some similar include file with all (!) or at least many of the register names as set forth in the “data-sheet”/user manual.

Yes, of course all the register names are defined, just like we do for every other board. Here's the source.

https://github.com/PaulStoffregen/cores/blob/master/teensy4/imxrt.h

Some peripherals still may be missing defines for bit fields. If you run across any, post a bug report or send a pull request.

But I doubt you'll find anything missing regarding the timers. The timers and most of the normal peripheral were quite well used during the beta test.

Thanks Paul. I did take a pass at the T4_Beta forum. Quite a display of an impressive array of skills, dedication & effort I must say. Will make for a good study.

I think I’ve been away from the Arduino a bit too long and got wrapped up in all the ST stuff. Sorta forgot all the previous efforts I made with the Atmel timers. Now I recall digging thru the 328 “data sheet” to figure out the timers. This should be a similar (and a bit more complex) effort.

But I will now stick with the T4. Have some previous stepper projects with Accelstepper that will def improve on a T4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back