Teensy 4.0 filesystem

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveBoucher

Is there any plan to allow part of the flash on the Teensy 4.0 to be used as a filesystem like you can do on an ESP? I've searched around for information about this, and the only thing that I've found is a brief mention in the beta thread from Paul here.

I know that there is EEPROM emulation that used 64k of flash, but the actual usable amount of storage seems to be much smaller after wear levelling. I was looking for something a little larger, say around 200k.

I could use an SD card instead, but that seems to be overkill for such a small filesystem.

Is there any plan to allow part of the flash on the Teensy 4.0 to be used as a filesystem like you can do on an ESP? I've searched around for information about this, and the only thing that I've found is a brief mention in the beta thread from Paul here.

I know that there is EEPROM emulation that used 64k of flash, but the actual usable amount of storage seems to be much smaller after wear levelling. I was looking for something a little larger, say around 200k.

I could use an SD card instead, but that seems to be overkill for such a small filesystem.
Obviously the big issue is supporting a filesystem from the Teensy, and others can answer that.

But in terms of storage, there are various SPI and I2C flash memory systems floating around. The question is whether there are Teensy drivers for these systems. Two that are made to be mounted directly on the Teensy include:

There are dual/quad memory SPI flash memory chips floating around. I suspect if you aren't going to do bit-banging to re-implement dual/quad SPI, you would need to solder wires to the Teensy 4.0's SD card pads.

Here is a memory that uses just plain SPI:

Thank you for the suggestions, an SPI flash chip might be a good alternative and I'd forgotten about the prop shield.

I'm still interested in the filesystem idea as a "no extra hardware" option if anyone has any information on it.

Thank you for the suggestions, an SPI flash chip might be a good alternative and I'd forgotten about the prop shield.

I'm still interested in the filesystem idea as a "no extra hardware" option if anyone has any information on it.

FWIW, the Adafruit M4/M0 systems that export a file system do so with a separate flash memory chip that is soldered onto the PCB of the microprocessor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back