Question on adapting Teensy to Adafruit Screw Shield

charlesmc

Hello - I have an Adafruit Screw Shield R3 that is currently sitting on top of an Ardiuno Duo, but I'd like to swap the Ardiuno Duo for a Teensy for easier interfacing to X-Plane (pots and switches).

I'd like to confirm that I can install a Teensy 3.2 into the Sparkfun Teensy Arduino Shield Adapter (KIT-13288) and then install the Adafruit Screw Shield R3 onto the Sparkfun Shield adapter.

I have reviewed the pinouts of the Sparkfun and Adafruit parts and it looks like they will correctly mate together, I was just concerned about 3.3V and 5V issues with this pairing.

Note that I am just planning on providing power to the Teensy via USB.

Thanks,

Charles

I don't see any electrical components on the shield other than the 2 LEDs, so it should be safe. If it add additional components, you would need to verify that the components can all work at 3.3v.

There is a seller on tindie that sells a PCB that you can attach screw terminals to, but since he/she doesn't sell the terminals as part of the shield, it may be less interesting. You would have to source 2 16-pin 2.54mm screw terminals, and a 13-pin terminal (the 13 pin might be tougher to find, and you might want to include a 12 pin instead -- I put a link for an ebay vendor that sells various sizes of 2.54mm screw terminals):

Or you can just go with a prototype board and put female headers for the Teensy, and put in two 14 pin terminals from the vendor above:

One other thought is the Arduino Nano is 0.7" wide, and 1.5" long (the Teensy is 1.4" long). That means you could buy one of the nano shields out there and just re-label the pins, and not use the last row. Most of these screw shields are just bring the connection out to the screw terminal (i.e. no other components like voltage regulator that might go to the wrong pin). Here is one I found on ebay that comes assembled (so you don't have to solder it):

Thanks - I went with Michael's suggestion in terms of the prototype board and a collection of 2.54mm screw terminal blocks. With this approach, I can put in a large number of GND screw terminals for all the switches, so that I don't have say 10 grounds going into one screw terminal.

One other thought is the Arduino Nano is 0.7" wide, and 1.5" long (the Teensy is 1.4" long). That means you could buy one of the nano shields out there and just re-label the pins, and not use the last row. Most of these screw shields are just bring the connection out to the screw terminal (i.e. no other components like voltage regulator that might go to the wrong pin). Here is one I found on ebay that comes assembled (so you don't have to solder it):

Thanks for the suggestion : 3 nano screw shields on order.

Thanks for the suggestion : 3 nano screw shields on order.

A teensy LC with pins fitted nicely.

The combination is off course rather high.

A micromod will be lower, but the carrier boards are not a fit with my needs.

The qwiic board is nice, but has almost no other IO.

Hi

2 disadvanrtages with the nano screw terminal :

- I've found that the ground pin from the nano is indeed a ground on the screw terminal --> pin not usable for the Teensy.
- There's still 6mm "Teensy" above the screw terminals. Such a board with low pin headers would be a real plus.

Anybody knowing of a low pin header screw terminal board inside the EU??

Back